What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any Hangar Space in DC area?

jeff122670

just got word that I am moving to the DC area (military). Was wondering if anyone had any leads on hangar space in the DC area or if someone needed a hangar mate.

drop me a line at:

[email protected]

thanks!!

Jeff

Last edited:
Potomac Field (KVKX) has some limited hanger space

They also have tiedowns available. About six miles outside the beltway in Maryland. I fly my RV-10 out of there quite a bit. You will need to go through a vetting process with the FAA/TSA (takes about a day).

Jeff,
Really need to know where you're thinking about living. The DC metro area is huge so there's multiple choices depending if you live in VA, MD, or DC. Typically, if you live in one of the Northern VA suburbs like me, the Maryland fields aren't a practical basing option and vice versa. I live in Dumfries, VA which is right next to Quantico and fly out of Manassas (KHEF). I was stationed at the Pentagon (Air Staff) and now I'm 10 miles South at Ft Belvoir (HQ DLA). Hangars are really field dependant with some having long waiting lists and others having vacancies. I recommend posting on the DC Pilots Yahoo Group Forum as that will increase your chances of getting a hit:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dcpilots/

Todd's got it right about commuting. Probably best to pick where you want to live first then decide where best to base. Where will you be working out of. Military bases and offices are scattered all over around here.

Thanks for the replys guys!!!

I plan to live in crystal city, as CLOSE as possible to the Pentagon.

I checked at KHEF and I am on the waiting list (number 4), so that isnt too bad. I will check at the other airports as well.

I really appreciate the help!!

If you come across anyone needing a hangar mate or if you guys have any other ideas, please let me know.

I have started the vetting process now.....not too bad.

Thanks again!!!!!!!!

Jeff

also gotta consider where you'll be flying. Since u will be near the pentagon, the SFRA/ADIZ are a pain in the butt when it comes to GA pilots flying VFR in that whole area.... however if you are extra cautious and remember to follow all the specific rules you should be fine (sometimes the controllers get a little feisty but oh well)! What are u flying? I work and do some flying in the Baltimore/Northern MD area.

Jeff,
You might want to check into personal property taxes in the area. I don't think Md. taxes airplanes but Va. sure does and each county is different. The tax is every year plus a one time use tax when you first move to Va. The taxes are on where the plane is based not where you live. In Va. you can't really own anything, just rent it from the government!

Wild dog,

thanks for the tip. I looked it up and looks like I am in the clear:

Q: What is the tax policy for military personnel moving into Virginia?
A: Active duty military personnel may title or take ownership of their aircraft in the state of their ?home of record?. These aircraft are not subject to the Virginia Aircraft Sales and Use Tax.
However, Department of Aviation does require a license for these aircraft.

SWEEEEEET!

regardless it is only a 2% tax, which in my mind is STILL BS!!!

thanks again!

Jeff

Since you'll be working in Crystal City, do what ever you can to avoid a commute from home that includes 395. Years ago it was nicknamed the worlds longest parking lot. While that nickname is not used anymore, it is still true during rush hours. If you want to live closer to work you would probably be best basing at Potomac Airfield VKX. Don't let Andrew scare you about the SFRA/FRZ. I've been dealing with it on every flight, over 1000 hrs, since they started it and very rarely is there a hicup. The controllers will help you and I've never had a controller get feisty with me. Manassas is a nice airport but you won't be happy when you have to deal with 66 during rush hours. Another thought would be to live on the North side of DC and take the GW Parkway down. The Bethesda and Rockville areas put you close to the Beltway and just to the North is Gaithersburg, GAI. Not sure if there are any hangars available currently but I know of one that you could get temporarily for a few months. The hangars there are too small for two aircraft though so sharing is not really an option. If a temporary hangar will work while giving you time to scope out the area go ahead and PM me.

Jeff,
I agree completely with what Mike said. The SFRA simply isn't that big a deal. Also, after commuting to the Pentagon for 4 years (2006-2010) from VA, I can tell you that your best bet will be one of the Maryland airports. Simlly put the commute from Crystal City regardless of your destination will suck (sometimes more, sometimes less) but IMO the lessor of the commute evils will be MD when you look at the closest VA fields: Manassas (KHEF) and Stafford (KRMN). My advice is call all the airports within 30-40 miles of Crystal city and determine hangar availablity. Then once you get here, drive to those spots during the time of day that you fly the most. Of course, if hangars are available at only one location then the decision is made for you.

Why was this moved?

Mod's why was this moved? This is good info for anyone moving to the DC area so should have a ife-span of greater than 2-weeks. Respectfully request this thread be moved backed to the Mid-Atlantic forum where it originated.

Hangar space available KJYO (Leesburg)

Hello,

I have been on the KJYO (Leesburg) waiting list for a hangar for a long long time, and finally, my name was called yesterday. I am sharing a hangar now at HEF, and it's been great, but JYO is better for me, commute wise. I'd like to take the hangar at JYO, but a) its a little pricey, and b) I think I'll be getting transferred out at the end of the summer.

Any one need space at Leesburg, that we can initially share, and then if I get transferred out, you and I can find another "roommate" or I will continue to pay my share until we do.

It's 42x42 x14, a T hangar. Park your car in the hangar when gone, electric door. Rent would be $275 for each of us. I will be there about 50% of the time, as I commute into the area for work in my 9A. I think we could get any highwing in there with my plane, and probably any RV.

I have to move fast on this, and let them know, otherwise I may have to pass. Move in May 1st.

Thanks.

What about county tax?

Q: What is the tax policy for military personnel moving into Virginia?
A: Active duty military personnel may title or take ownership of their aircraft in the state of their ?home of record?. These aircraft are not subject to the Virginia Aircraft Sales and Use Tax.
However, Department of Aviation does require a license for these aircraft.

SWEEEEEET!

A couple years ago, I based a Shannon Airfield (Fredericksburg, VA) for a short time and, as I recall, was sent a huge ($1000+) tax bill from the county. It had to do with where your plane was on New Year's Eve. Fortunately, I had moved the plane to Texas about a month earlier and, after extensive haggling and various evidence presented to document the move, the county quit pursuing me. A friend of mine in the same boat but with his plane still hangared at Shannon, had to fork over the bucks.

Might be different these couple years later and it might also be waived for military folks.

KHWY

For the VA side of the DC area I have been on the list at HEF gave up; still on the CJR list went on the list at KHWY for about 5 months, and got a county hanger. It is a little out there, outside the SFRA, about a 30 minute drive from the house.

Somebody just placed an ad in the classified section here looking to share a hangar at KHEF. Sharing a hangar with an RV8A sounds good....and cheap!!

Back