What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SkyView and Ray Allen's Potentiometers

N787KV

I hope that someone out there can help with the problem of using the Ray Allen potentiometers for trim and flap position with Dynon?s Skyview. Ray Allen provides three wires in each unit for this purpose. Orange to connect to a voltage source less than 10v, blue to ground and green for the sensing. Ray Allen was not able to tell me what the draw of each unit would be. Dynon provides a single D-sub pin that provides a 5v power source, fuse limited to 500ma for the express purpose of trim and flap position units from they?re EMS unit. The installation instructions go on to tell you which of the Ray Allen wires to connect. In a phone call to Dynon, I tried to clarify that I could indeed connect my two trim sensors and flap sensors to that 5v source and still be under to 500ma limit. I was told that it was up to the builder to decide what to use the 5v source for and they do not know how it works with other equipment. This seems to conflict with they?re install instructions. It is possible that I did not convey my question correctly and thus the answer I received. So, the two questions are: 1. Can I connect all three sensors to the 5v source and, 2. What would be the best way to connect a single D-sub pin to the three users?

Thanks
Peter

We have our Skyview connected to three Ray Allen potentiometers. Pitch trim,roll trim and flaps. All three are displayed on the Skyview. They are all connected to the 5 Volt source. Don't fully understand question (2).
Ron

You can absolutely hook 2 or 3 position sensors to this 5V output. Each sensor is about 1/100 what this 5V output can handle. Sorry if this wasn't clear on the phone.

If you have a multimeter, measure the resistance between the orange and blue wires. 5V divided by this resistance in ohms will give you the current draw in amps.

Thanks All

Thanks for the replies. To clarify my 2nd question. What is the best way to connect the three potentiometers positive leads to a single DB pin?

Peter

I would solder the three leads together and heat shrink with only one lead coming out. Install one pin on that lead for your D-sub.

Or you could use one of these to distribute the 5 volts:

GBX-25A-photo.jpg

Or you could use a wiring hub for your serial ports and use one half of one of the bottom connectors to distribute your 5V.

AXIS-15A-photo.jpg

Both available here.

Vern

Last edited:
Nice, Vern!
I wish you'd had that wiring hub done about three months earlier. Anyone installing Skyview, especially two of them, needs one of these wiring hubs.

Nice, Vern!
I wish you'd had that wiring hub done about three months earlier. Anyone installing Skyview, especially two of them, needs one of these wiring hubs.

Dang! It was announced around Jan 1. Sorry I missed you.

V

I hope that someone out there can help with the problem of using the Ray Allen potentiometers for trim and flap position with Dynon?s Skyview. Ray Allen provides three wires in each unit for this purpose. Orange to connect to a voltage source less than 10v, blue to ground and green for the sensing. Ray Allen was not able to tell me what the draw of each unit would be. Dynon provides a single D-sub pin that provides a 5v power source, fuse limited to 500ma for the express purpose of trim and flap position units from they?re EMS unit. The installation instructions go on to tell you which of the Ray Allen wires to connect. In a phone call to Dynon, I tried to clarify that I could indeed connect my two trim sensors and flap sensors to that 5v source and still be under to 500ma limit. I was told that it was up to the builder to decide what to use the 5v source for and they do not know how it works with other equipment. This seems to conflict with they?re install instructions. It is possible that I did not convey my question correctly and thus the answer I received. So, the two questions are: 1. Can I connect all three sensors to the 5v source and, 2. What would be the best way to connect a single D-sub pin to the three users?

Thanks
Peter

On my harness for a 4-cylinder injected Lycoming, the 5V power is shown (and I've connected it) to the MAP sensor. I assume it's okay to pigtail a couple more wires off of the DB-37 end and use those for servo power for pitch and roll trim servos?

Need I connect the servo ground to one of the black ground lines from the Skyview, or can airframe ground work? (I suspect there might be a noise issue if I did that, though, no?).

TIA!

Steve

No problem connecting your sensors to the 5 volt breakout. What I did is breakout the +5 volts from the Skyview to a small terminal strip (4 screw buss). From there I just made individual connections of the trim, MAP etc. with ring terminals. This made it easy to replace the MAP sender when I had a failure. Just label the buss as +5 Volts.

Servo vs Potentiometer Power

Steve

Make sure that the power for the trim servos comes from a 12v bus source and not Skyview. The power for the potentiometers can use the 5v Skyview pin. I'm using the 5v for aileron, elev., flap potentiometers and manifold pressure. For the connections I used Vern Little's Axis Hub.

Hope this helped

Back