What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Injection from Twin Comanche

mquam99

Well Known Member
Does anyone know if the injection system from a Twin Comanche would fit and be functional on a vertical induction IO-320. I am converting an O-320-E3D to injection and may have an option to put on an injection system from a twin comanche.

I think the twin comanche is a rear induction, so not sure if the servo would still function in the vertical postition..

any idea from anyone??

thanks in advance

Mike

fuel injection

If I remember Mahlons words of wisdom correctly, only horizontal oil screen engines can be converted to fuel injection. Don't remember why. So if you have a small oil screen mounted horizontal on your sump. you are ok for conversion to fuel injection. If you have a vertical screen located on the bottom of the sump-no fuel injection. The vertical screen is a large hex nut, the horizontal is a small hex nut. The Twin Commanche unit should work in any position, front rear or vertical. You can also use an elbow mounted to the bottom of the sump with the induction pointed forward. I have seen this setup on 0 360 Lancairs and it works out quite well. I don't have info on how the mixture and throttle arms/controls work out when changeing from rear to bottom.

spin on oil filter

Am I correct in assuming that if there is a spin on oil filter on the accessory case that there is no Oil screen??

Or is that a stupid question??

Am I correct in assuming that if there is a spin on oil filter on the accessory case that there is no Oil screen??

Or is that a stupid question??

No pressure screen. The coarse suction screen still lives in the sump.

thanks

Thanks for the reply. I will take a look tonight.. Can anyone confirm that if there is a vertical screen, conversion to an IO is not possible?

thanks in advance

It's been done

Eric Hensen should weigh in here. He converted an IO-320 from a Twin Commanche to vertical induction. If memory serves me [hey, I'm over 50, what can I say] he had his FI system overhauled by Don at Airflow Performance. Come on Eric, speak up.
Charlie

Update

Well the screen on this motor is in thevrear of the sump and mounted horizontally. So that answers that question.

Thanks for all the input.

Back