What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sourcing pour-in-place foam locally - Austin

David_Nelson

Well Known Member
Hi All,

Based on a thread from DanH, I'm trying to source this product, or something similar, in the Austin, TX area:

http://www.shopmaninc.com/foam.html

I've asked/called around to a couple of places and I'm either getting funny looks or being told to use 'Great Stuff'. 'Great Stuff' is great and all, but it does not work well enough for my application of making a fiberglass mold - I tried. I find it difficult to accept that Austin doesn't have this stuff locally so I must not be asking the right businesses/suppliers. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Direct from Mfgr

David -
I doubt you'll find it locally. I've searched high and low for alternatives, but direct from US Composites is the best deal I've found. It's not HazMat, but the shipping is expensive because it's heavy. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet...

Two Part

A few years ago I was able to purchase two part foam at West Marine... Dunno about today. :) It worked great for ramps etc...

Found some ... kinda

West Marine... of course! With the West Marine tax, the total comes to $99.99 - ouch?

This somehow led me to look up 'foam' in the yellow pages which led me down an interesting path. It was suggested that I call 'Blue Genie' - a special effects company here in town. It turns out that they use pour-in-place expanding foam to make various things. The gentleman I spoke to offered to sell me some but unfortunately they were running low. Price wasn't discussed. He then suggested I call Reynolds Advanced Materials up in Dallas (800-421-4378).

Thanks guys!

/\/elson

Reynolds Advanced Materials up in Dallas (800-421-4378).

Thanks for doing the leg work! that will be handy for me!

i might can help

We use foam in place for shipping stuff. You would HAVE to bring it to my warehouse and I shoot it in for you. It that an option or are you trying to "own" it and take it home?

Today is not a good day for me to discuss. If you can wait till next week,
send me an email Mon or Tue to [email protected]

Oh, and I'm in Austin. My warehouse is at Ben White/ I 35 and that is where foam in place machine is.

If you need something quicker i'd suggest you pull out yellow pages and call crating companies. They would all have one for themselves to use.

jh

We use foam in place for shipping stuff. You would HAVE to bring it to my warehouse and I shoot it in for you. It that an option or are you trying to "own" it and take it home?

Today is not a good day for me to discuss. If you can wait till next week,
send me an email Mon or Tue to [email protected]

Oh, and I'm in Austin. My warehouse is at Ben White/ I 35 and that is where foam in place machine is.

If you need something quicker i'd suggest you pull out yellow pages and call crating companies. They would all have one for themselves to use.

jh

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for the generous offer. This is for rebuilding portions of the empenage fairing which is currently strapped down to the fuselage and with the empenage in place. <inside voice>Maybe if a coordinate the project move out to the hanger...hmmm - just kidding.</inside voice>. Anyway, Plan A was using "Great Stuff", Plan B is in the works, and Plan C is using pour-in-place foam.

Thanks,

Back