What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

396 Antena cable

uk_figs

Well Known Member
Friend
Does anyone know if it is OK to shorten the cable for the remote GPS antenna that comes with the 396(not the WXM antenna)? I have to replace the bnc connector (it is the only connector that sticks out further than the yoke/panel mount that come with the unit and I have it mounted on a flat panel with no cutout space) so I figured I could shorten the cable for a neater installation.
Worried that the length is somehow matched to the unit (impedance or one of those other fancy electrical terms)

Shortening the GPS ant cable is OK. I shortened mine to about 2' and mounted the ant on the glareshield.
Mel...DAR

Yep it's OK to shorten it.

What are you planning to do with the cut off end? :-D

I put my antenna on the turtledeck, and really need about 2 more feet of coax to make the installation neater.

I was going to make an extension (this should be OK with the leftover RG-400 I have on hand, right?) but it would be easier to use your leftover if you would be willing to part with it.

James Freeman

antenna cut off piece

Email me your address and I will send it to you, in my installation the antenna is only a few feet from the unit (this is for my pacer and I will be switching the unit between the two aircraft)

another 396 question

Thanks for the inputs, cut the antenna cable and added a right angle bnc connector and it works great.
Another question I have is whether the audio output jack on the rear of the 396 outputs the same audio as the two voice wires in the data cable, I already have an external audio input jack for my PS intercom (with soft mute) and it would be easy to run a short audio cable between the two jacks.
The 396 manual is not very clear as the whether this is for XM radio only or all audio alerts.

396 question answered

Contacted Garmin who confirmed that all audio alerts and music are available from the mini audio jack on the rear of the unit, means that you can connect to intercom via external music input.

uk_figs said:
Contacted Garmin who confirmed that all audio alerts and music are available from the mini audio jack on the rear of the unit, means that you can connect to intercom via external music input.

This is the way I have mine hooked up, and it works well. Be aware, however, that intercom or radio traffic will suppress warnings (e.g."terrain, pull up") if you have it connected this way.

Many of the Cirrus guys are wiring the alerts into the ADF slot on the audio panel so that the alerts are not muted, but running the music through the entertainment jack. This way, music (XM) is muted, but everything else comes through.

James Freeman

396 audio hookup

Thanks for the tip, not sure my intercom has the additional input but will check, cable is on its way to you. :)

passenger microphone inputs

I read somewhere that you can use the passenger microphone (intercom) inputs for the warnings as well, and they don't get muted. I'm sure you need to add some kind of resistors and other stuff to make it work. Better check with aeroelectric on matronics to get the details.

Back