What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Billet Fuel Filter Source?

9GT

Well Known Member
Patron
I found a thread about 6 months ago that had a link to a really nice billet aluminum fuel filter with a cleanable SS screen. It was shaped different that the standard Earls or Summit filters and had a flange on the bottom for mounting. I can not for the life of me find it. IIRC, It was a Wick's Aircraft part but I am unable to find it there. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? I have decided to use a filter for each wing under the seat and these would fit real nice. :confused:

Midwest Motorsports Inc

Here is an option...

I bought two in-line filters at http://www.midwestmotorsportsinc.com.

Search for 4050-06-1. I bought mine in blue to match the other fittings. Great quality. The end unscrews and you can clean the filter. Has an o-ring seal. And the best part is the cost was $24.66.

Here is a picture

Pictures are a challenge to me, but I guess I need the practice. There is a AA battery in the picture for size comparison.

img0323sk.jpg

Not all filters are created equal

Here is an option...

I bought two in-line filters at http://www.midwestmotorsportsinc.com.

Search for 4050-06-1. I bought mine in blue to match the other fittings. Great quality. The end unscrews and you can clean the filter. Has an o-ring seal. And the best part is the cost was $24.66.

Does anyone know how much filter area this filter has??? My Internet search turned up NO technical data on the above mentioned fuel filter. Even the manufacturer's web site has no technical data on it. See

http://www.redhorseperformance.com/parts4/index.htm

The fuel filter mentioned earlier in this thread, sold by Aircraft Spruce has only 6 square inches of filter area in it. That's not a lot. Less filter area means that the filter could become clogged more easily. The FlowEzy 4ILA and slightly larger 6ILA [used by AFP and also sold by Vans] both have 20 square inches of filter area. See

http://198.170.245.162/racingMODEL_4ILA.html

The FlowEzy units also give you a large choice of screen filtration sizes from 595 microns to 10 microns in stainless steel.

Granted, more frequent inspection and cleaning of a small area filter will help alleviate most [but not all] issues here. Just an FYI for those comparing filters and going only on price.
RV-9A builder Chris Heitman's company, Pegasus Auto Racing Supply carries the 4ILA model [with Viton O-rings for those using auto fuel]. See

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=3469

Just something to bear in mind about filters. Size is also an issue. Smaller physical size causes more internal turbulence, meaning less flow. FlowEzy's 6ILA uses the same size filter element, as the smaller 4ILA. The 4ILA flows 5 GPM while the 6ILA flows 6 GPM, so size has an effect on the filter's restriction to the mechanical fuel pump. Remember that your fuel filter is on the suction side of your fuel pumps. The filter elements which provide tighter filtration [10 or 25 microns versus 74 or 149 microns] also further restrict the fuel system. The Bendix [now Precision AirMotive] systems only require approximately 80 microns to protect the system's components. AFP requires filtration to a minimum of 125 microns per page 5, 1-10 of their operating manual. FYI 25 microns is approximately .001"

Charlie Kuss

Last edited:
I'm also a fan of the Flowezy, I run the 4ILA with 74 micron screen.

Last edited:
Red Horse Performance Fuel Filters

I received a response to the email I sent to Red Horse Performance [fuel filters that Dean purchased for $24.66 each]. These filters have only 2.15 square inches of filter area! With a filter area that small, a single piece of ProSeal [which could break off in the fuel tank] or an act of vandalism to your fuel tanks, could easily plug this filter. This is truly a case of "you get what you pay for". If anyone wants to see the reply email I received from Red Horse Performance, contact me via email or private message.
Mickey, thanks for the informative post regarding fuel filters. That link to Aeromotive's web site helps to visualize how these filters can differ internally.
Charlie Kuss

Last edited:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EAR-230106ERL/?rtype=10

I've been running these filters in my RV for 11 years with no problems. It uses an easy to clean sintered bronze element with a lot of area. As I recall you don't want anything under 30 microns as its too restrictive.

Bob's been using the filters he linked above for a long time, so they obviously work. That said, I finally got a call back today, from Earl's tech department regarding the filter in Bob's link. I had asked them two questions. The person [Terrance] who answered my call 3 days ago, could not answer the questions I posed below. He had to contact their engineering department for answers. Terrace called me back this morning.

1 How many square inches of surface area does the filter element have?

Their reply was 2 square inches. [Perhaps the element design has changed in the 11 years since Bob's purchase]

2 Why does the web page recommend these filters only for carburetors? [click on the APPLICATIONS tab at the link Bob provided to find this info]

Their reply was that sintered bronze filter elements are more restrictive than stainless steel screens. They recommend only stainless steel screen filter elements for fuel injection systems. Just an FYI.

Charlie

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ordered up a Flow Ezy with a 20 micron filter. The Andair filter I got with the package deal (pump/valve/filter) from Andair looks to have only about 3 sq. in. of screen at most so I think I will end up using that one for my lawn mower. We had a fuel delivery problem in the Cozy MKIV that caused the IO-360 to sputter after take off when the boost pump was turned off. Finally tracked the cause down to a partially clogged fuel filter (Flow Ezy). The mechanical pump just didn't have enough oomph to pull the fuel through. More filter area is better!

Back