What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

NAPA 7220 top coat

E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
I am seeking first hand information on your experience priming interior surfaces (wing, etc.) with NAPA 7220.

Please advise as to which brand and type of spray paint is best in your experience, to top coat over the NAPA 7220. Or do I need a top coat?

I have the NAPA spray cans on hand and would like to use them but if that is a mistake then I'll defer to your recommendations. I live close to the ocean and think that a primer and top coat inside of my structures is prudent. Not concerned about the added weight of this protection - my wife and I have lost weight in order to live longer and to make the RV-12 fly better. Thanks for your replies.:cool:

Priming for Salt Air

FWIW, I have used NAPA 7220 for some applications so I'm not anti-rattle can...but if you're serious about priming the interior of structural parts in a coastal environment my recommendation would be Akzo-Nobel two-part epoxy interior primer (available from Spruce (#09-24735)) or other similar primer. Sprays on easily, drys quickly, tough as nails. No top coat required. Not cheap, but worth it.

Fair warning: don't put Akzo where you don't want it....once it's cured you'll have to use abrasives to get it off. NAPA 7220 will wipe off with most solvents even after curing.

Good luck,
Mike

Thank you both

Thanks for the quick answers - I appreciate that. Too bad that this thread is so well 'hidden' on the YAF.:(

as a top coat? no, it will not work

you need some sort of epoxy primer, azko is the obvious front runner, and i'm an avid 7220 user

Back