What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spokane/Coeur d'Alene area RV'ers & -9'ers?

flyboy1963

Well Known Member
Travelling to Spokane & Post Falls this weekend to use up some of my overvalued Loonies.
May have a little time to hit an airport, or pilot shop.
Can anyone suggest one? Fields with likely RV activity? other intersting stuff to do with the family? :0

thanks!

Not a lot of RV activity this time of year around Spokane and Ceour D'Alene. Family wise there is quite a bit around the area. Most of it is outdoors. Skiing I'm sure you know. There is a Holiday Inn and attached indoor water park in Ceour D'Alene near the Hayden airport. And less than a hour's drive east on I-90 is Silver Mountain Ski Area. At the base of the mountain right nest to the Gondola is a resort with a really nice indoor water park. Unfortunately, it is the wrong time of year for Silverwood Theme Park.

Mike Robertson
RV-9A
RV-8A
RV-6A

spokane

hey thanks Mike,
I'm sure between the factory outlet stores and Olive Garden we'll manage to fill our time. We are hoping to hit Silverwood this year; is there a field nearby that you could suggest? I think with the payload of the -9a, we'll be using a motel! ( not camping!)

I'll drop you a PM and see exactly where you're at - THREE RV's????

The Cabelas store in Post Falls is pretty easy to spend some time in. Really your only choice of GA-friendly airports is either Felts Field (KSFF) where there are a fair number of RVs, or Coeur d'Alene (KCDA). Rental cars should be accessible from both airports. Actually KCDA is probably closer to the Post Falls outlet malls and Cabela's, plus it's the closest to downtown Coeur d' Alene and the (4- or 5-star) Coeur d'Alene resort. If a wife likes to be treated, the Dockside Restaurant at the resort is pretty nice and affordable. And, since you mentioned it, there's a Olive Garden Restaurant on Hwy 95 just near the east side of the airport too. If kids are involved, the Kroc Center (swim center with water slides) is worth a couple hours of time.

There is no longer a field at Silverwood as far as I know. Unfortunately, once the amusement park came to what used to be an aerodrome, and then grew larger and larger, the public use field was closed. Silverwood is probably closest to Coeur d'Alene, but is probably within 45 minutes of Sandpoint as well (another good summer/winter destination).

I agree that Hayden/Couer D'Alene is the better airport. Fuel is readily available there as are rental cars. Fuel at Felts Field is still overpriced and rental cars are not as easy to get.

The factory outlet mall in Post Falls is pretty much a ghost town these days but Cabelas is definitely a place to go.

And, yes, I am a repeat offender on buidling RVs. Great fun building and then flying.

Mike Robertson

If flying into the area, if you can do it, fly down to Stmaries. The fuel is 4.25 and realy not that far from CDA, just at the bottom of the main lake. Go to felts and have breakfast or lunch at the skyway right on field. I think they close at 2 pm. I think open at 6:30. Two runways with a tower.

Back