What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jacksonville

PaulR

Well Known Member
Going to Jacksonville area on Wednesday next week for the day. Anyone with a preference on airports? My step-daughter will be picking us up so transportation isn't important.

Thanks

Craig (CRG) is centrally located, good facilities. St Augustine (SGJ) is nice also if you're on the south end of town.

Jacksonville area airports

If you are staying south of Jacksonville, consider Flagler County. Flagler County is a great airport with very friendly FBO, Tower, and services.

Herlong on the West side, Craig on the East side

Herlong in non-towered, very nice GA with a couple of approaches. Craig is towered with all the approaches and also good.

Ron

HEG was good too

Herlong (HEG) was fine. They are on the west side.

ALSO, if you are a bookworm, don't miss the Chamblin Book Mine. It is the best and largest used book emporium I have ever been to. I go out of my way to visit the joint and I have a hard time leaving.

Love the Chamblin Book Mine! I used to live right down the road and passed by it on my way to NAS Jax everyday. I stopped in and found a year book from my college dating back to 1969. I just thought it was neat and bought it. Still have it somewhere. You never know what you're gonna get...

You might think of your step-daughter...

If she lives on the W side of Jax & the St. Johns River, then Herlong is more accessible than the others. If she lives over in the new bedroom communities S of Jax and W of the beach communities, Craig is very accessible...altho' it's a very busy reliever airport and ramp fees are probably a bit steep. If she lives well S of Jax, around the 9A/I95 Beltway, then St. Augustine is a lot closer than Flagler County.

If she's centrally located, I'd recommend Herlong. Recently refurbished FBO with the friendliest folks we've met at a public airport, the refurb was done around the traditional pool table that remains a fixture of the facility, new or nearly new hangars, and perhaps 5 mins from I-10 and so perhaps 15 mins from downtown Jax. Both skydiving and sail plane activity on the airport so keep your head on a swivel.

Paul, you may be wondering why someone would recommend visiting a bookstore (Chamblin's); what's so special about that? You really have to experience it to believe it. Faded, seedy-looking, smallish place from the outside...but plan on getting lost before you find all the aisles, back rooms and hidden treasures there. Take your old books with you, sell them at the entrance and then use the credit to buy 'new' ones.

Jack

im based at craig and think it is easier to get in and out of than herlong, it has a control tower so you know who is where and coming and going, herlong can be a free for all zoo. its surounded by three class d airports with class c to the north. if you would like to hanger your plane let me know and i will make room for you in mine . no ramp fees either that way!! have a safe flight and blue skys!!

Back