What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VM-1000 - Opinion?

FredMagare

Well Known Member
Several years ago, I purchased a new VM-1000 (not "C" model). At the time it was a good deal (now they can be had for less than half what I paid). Since the unit is brand new and never installed, I'm sure it's likely to work just fine but I'm wondering that, because it's now an orphan (no support), should I go with a different engine monitor? I've already installed the capacitive senders for the VMS Fuel Level readout and don't know how I would be able to get a calibration chip for it.... If I don't use it, it's lost $$$; if I do use it, I might be setting myself up for a difficult process.

Does anyone have experience in this area? Are my senders (oil pres, oil temp, MP, CHT, EGT, etc.) useable in another system that I can segue into? More importantly - are the fuel-level senders (three leads, plus ground) compatible with another fuel guage? (The fuel guage MUST be used with the engine monitor but the engine monitor can be used regardless of the fuel guage.) I also have the EC-100 checklist that I may be unable to program a chip for (not as much of a factor)....

Thoughts? Ideas? :confused:

VM1000

Hey Gunny,
I've got a VM1000 in my RV-3 (twelve years and I probably should change my internal battery) and a VM1000C in my RV-6XL (two years). Both are working as advertised. But, I have had to replace the manifold pressure transducer in my RV-3 and found that JPI continues to support it but at a price. They wanted several hundred dollars for a new pressure transducer. I did my due diligence and found a transducer for less than $50.00. It was then an easy repair.
There are many postings here in the VAF forum to guide you through any situation that you may run in to. The search engine here is wonderful.
So, for my two cents, keep what you have, use the VM1000 and put your money into more gas. You won't be disappionted.
Warm, blue RV skies,
Chuck

Thanks, Chuck. Do you think there is any support for programing chips for the Fuel Level gage and the EC-100? I'm probably still four-years away from flying. (Maybe less.)

EC-100

Hey Gunny,
I personally don't have any experience with the EC-100 or its functions.
I didn't install it in either of my planes. But since it is use in conjuction with the VM1000C and still actively support by EPI, I don't see why you would have any issues. A quick call to EPI should answer all your cocerns.
Blue skies,
Chuck

That's really what I needed to know - what company is providing support.... Vision Micro's main page seems shut-down but I'll call their contact number in San Antonio to see if anyone answers.

Thanks for your input.

I dumped mine as soon as I got the plane back to the hanger.....to hokey for me. Try the EI MVP50

VM 1000 Opinions

Looking for a VM1000 fuel pressure sensor (0-60psi). Anyone out there have one?

Thanks,
jim...
jmack102ea*at*hotmail.com

Jim -- PM me the VMS p/n of your old fuel press xducer, I may have one for you but I don't remember if mine is a high press FI version or a low pres carb version. Reggie

Back