What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

When to prime

Mark Jackson

Patron
Preface - I have already decided on the primer.

Just starting the empennage kit. When is the best time to prime? I was planning on priming after dimpling but before any assembly. Is it better to assemble the spar/ribs before priming? Same with things like reinforcing strips?

Thanks,

Mark Jackson

As another viewpoint, I prime earlier in the process. My step 1 is to smooth the edges and if necessary 'rough cut/grind/fit/etc'. Step 2 is to prime. Step 3+ is to match drill, deburr, dimple, etc, etc. I do it this way for two main reasons: (a) if I prime after match drilling, I have to run the reamer through there again (extra time) or else half the rivets won't push through from the small amount of primer that is in the hole; (b) it protects the parts better as I'm fitting, match drilling, etc. BTW, Alumaprep 33, Alodine 1201, AKZO two-part expoxy is my choice. Not saying any way is right or wrong, just another way that has worked for me. Best, -Jim

I match drilled/countersink/deburred, then clean, scuff, re-clean, alodine, let dry and finally prime. The AKZO is hard enough after a day of curing to take the dimpling without any issues. Scuffing prior to dimpling is better on the scotchbrite. On occasion you might need to lightly run a drill bit through a particularly tight hole to get a rivet in.

Back