What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Utah / St. George Airport

ScottSchmidt

Well Known Member
Does anyone know if there is a date yet when they will close the current airport at St. George?

I love that airport and will miss it when its gone. I just don't see us visiting St. George as much when the new "bigger" airport opens. I want to make sure I get a couple more flights down there before it finally closes. It is always a great day to fly down, walk into town and have breakfast at the Bear Paw.

Jan 13, 2011

SkyWest will apparently begin service from the new airport on Jan 13, 2011 (Wikipedia article). But I don't know when the old airport will shut down.

RE:New SGU Info...

Hi

Here are some sites to visit for the new SGU airport info.

Big problems with lease agreement between city and GA folks. If intersted read the latest lease doc. and think what it might create as a precedent for other cities to follow. Even though it is improved from the original it is still ....???????

http://www.sguconstruction.com/factsheet.php

http://www.sguconstruction.com/Private Hangar Lease Agreement Draft.pdf

GA transition info.....

http://www.sguconstruction.com/RA Questions and Concerns.pdf

Openig is ????January 13, 2011 for the new airport. The current airport will be closed to any arrival aircraft ...???? on that date but planes based at the current airport will have until mid April 2011 to remove their planes / plus once the plane has lifted off i will not be allowed to land at the current airport after January 13, 2011 ...?????

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50067763-76/airport-george-bulloch-million.html.csp

Frank @ 1L8 ... RV7A ... Flying and Tracken ...(MT-RTG) N74BZ

Last edited:
Thanks Frank

Well, it is too bad someone was not able to buy that up and turn it into an Airpark, what an awesome place it would be.

We will plan a couple of trips in the next three weeks.

Wow

After looking through the hangar Agreement, I wouldn't want to be there. To much "city" interference. Looks like a stranglehold on GA.

As a former SkyWest pilot based in SGU, I've got many fond memories there and will be sad to see it go. Takeoffs at dawn were so beautiful they made made even a Metro seem serene. I can also remember some hairy arrivals and departures in marginal weather. We used to joke that the VOR must have been solar powered because it often went OTS when a ceiling came in. The airport is a throwback on the commercial side and it will be great for the local area to have a new all weather airport.
The land value of the old site would be too high IMO to make an airpark work especially with the existing one at Hurricane.

Scott,

To answer your question, though a month later, my understanding is that all airport ops from existing KSGU will be departures only after Jan 13, 2011.

No arrivals will be allowed.

I cannot confirm past a few conversations with pilots/tenants that have mentioned it.

The area will quickly be demo'd and readied for a massive real estate frenzy. You will see houses there by then end of Q3 is my prediction.

You and I need to meet. I did my primary training @ KBTF and will be starting my 7 as soon as the shop passes final inspection.

Last edited:
RE:Latest Info on SGU to SGU

Just got off phone with KSGU airport operations and here is the very latest.

KSGU (old on the West Buff) will be lights out 1-13-2011 at 11:59 PM local time.

KSGU new 5 miles South East of Saint George will be lights on at 11:59 local time.

Then for the next four days planes that didn't depart at the old facility by the lights out time will be able to take off but never to reeturn for landing at the old airport. Then those still there after that time period will have to make an appointment to take off from the old airport ( still uncetian about the time frame on this part of the exodus but rumor has it that this will last until mid March 2011.)

Side note: There is still some strong feelings by most GA folks has to how the city in their opinion has been pretty heavy handed with the new lease agreement. This is why most have yet to move their hangars to the the new facility. The attorney for the GA hangar owners said don't sign....but...will see who blinks first. I would supect the GA folks will pinch their nose and sign!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be doing some T&G's at the ols KSGU Wednesday and maybe even take part in the opening party at the new airport and then on Thursday make my first landings at the new..........GA Ghost Town........KSGU.

Check Notams Wednesday the 13th for the real story.:confused::D:D;)

Frank @ 1L8 ....RV7A.... Flying and Tracken

RE:Update on KSGU

Big party with flyovers, speeches, ribbon cutting will be 1/12/2011 @ 2:30 PM local.

First allowed flights into the NEW airport will be 1/13/2011 after 2:00 AM Local.

My source was Brad Kitchen one of the operation managers of KSGU. I mentioned to him I would like to fly my pretty lttle RV7 into the NEW airport for the big party on 1/12/2011. He said I might want to rethink that considering the RAMP CHECK that would take place by FAA.

So there you have it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See you at the old airport 1/12/2011 for the final flights in and out of the OLD KSGU and then 1/13/2011 for those first flights into the NEW KSGU
airport......Left Trafffic 19/1..........

Frank @ 1L8 ...RV7A... flying and tracken (MT-RTG)

Just got off phone with KSGU airport operations and here is the very latest.

KSGU (old on the West Buff) will be lights out 1-13-2011 at 11:59 PM local time.

KSGU new 5 miles South East of Saint George will be lights on at 11:59 local time.

Then for the next four days planes that didn't depart at the old facility by the lights out time will be able to take off but never to reeturn for landing at the old airport. Then those still there after that time period will have to make an appointment to take off from the old airport ( still uncetian about the time frame on this part of the exodus but rumor has it that this will last until mid March 2011.)

Side note: There is still some strong feelings by most GA folks has to how the city in their opinion has been pretty heavy handed with the new lease agreement. This is why most have yet to move their hangars to the the new facility. The attorney for the GA hangar owners said don't sign....but...will see who blinks first. I would supect the GA folks will pinch their nose and sign!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be doing some T&G's at the ols KSGU Wednesday and maybe even take part in the opening party at the new airport and then on Thursday make my first landings at the new..........GA Ghost Town........KSGU.

Check Notams Wednesday the 13th for the real story.:confused::D:D;)

Frank @ 1L8 ....RV7A.... Flying and Tracken

Anyone flying North of St George soon?

If you're flying North of St. George and could take some pictures for me please post to this forum or email me at email address in my profile.

Thanks.

Milford, UT

Actually, the pictures I need are of Milford, UT, about 90 nm north of you. We are finishing operating a storage site for wind turbine equipment there and I need a few aerial pictures to complete project documentation. I'll PM or email details.

RE: Milford Ut Pix

Here ya go!!!!

2vwzfv6.jpg

htfne9.jpg

eb4q9x.jpg

Frank @ 1L8 ...RV7A...

Back