What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Chelton announcement: new 2-screen EFIS for the RV-10

Cost

About the only thing the web site leaves out is the cost.

Such things always raise my red flags.

The harness looks good, wonder if they will sell it seperate?

Mike

I've heard a bit about this from a couple various sources. It says right in the .pdf that the harnesses fitted for the -10 are included (This will assume that you mount the GADAHRS in the panel area, and the magnetometer in the wing), but I haven't heard if it will be available separately to existing builders.
I can also tell you that it will be coming out at an introductory price of around $26,000. As with many "introductory" things, it may be time limited, but I haven't heard this for sure and haven't heard any timelines on any deals. I'd suspect it's in coordination with the Sun-N-Fun show. It should be a good value with the harness for someone who doesn't want to wire it on their own.

Tim
Flying RV-10 #40170

Anybody have any idea how this differs from their standard 2 screen layout? Maybe I just haven't dug enough, but I'm not sure I see a difference other than it has a prewired -10 harness (which, in and of itself is VERY cool).

Last edited:
Twenty six-----gasp--------ttthhousand dollars (choke)!!!!!

Am I that out of touch, or is that a mistake on the part of Tim??

How important is something like this to someone who is a severe clear, day VFR pilot like me?

I know that the abilities of the -10 are vastly different than my old Stinson, and I will be using it for cross county work that I would never do now, but as I have no interest/plans on getting my IFR ticket, what value would something like this have for me.

Any of you folks who fly behind glass panels have any input on this, I.E. what would be apropriate for my mission??

Thanks, Mike

The Chelton would be SERIOUS overkill if you're not a IFR kind of person. I was thinking about this the other day (i.e. what would I put in a fair-weather RV-3 if I decided to build one) and figured out that the single screen GRT/EIS4000/GPS, a used SL30 (or similar...maybe nix the Nav/COM, do GPS/COM instead and delete the GPS from the GRT) and a used transponder would cost about $10,000 (probably less) and be some serious bang for the buck. I know you can do a VFR panel much cheaper than that, but this combination just struck me as a nice compromise of functionality vs. cost.

I'm not sure why you would need anything but bare minimum instruments in the -10 (unless you're worried about flying into clouds...then an AI is nice), just like any other airplane.

Last edited:
This would not be for VFR flying (unless you have more money than sense :eek: ).

This would be IFR, but it is still way too rich for my blood. I think it's made for folks who are not constrained by budgets. I guess that's okay.

Mike S said:

Am I that out of touch, or is that a mistake on the part of Tim??

How important is something like this to someone who is a severe clear, day VFR pilot like me?

I know that the abilities of the -10 are vastly different than my old Stinson, and I will be using it for cross county work that I would never do now, but as I have no interest/plans on getting my IFR ticket, what value would something like this have for me.

Any of you folks who fly behind glass panels have any input on this, I.E. what would be apropriate for my mission??

Thanks, Mike

Mike S said:

Thanks, Mike

Whiskey compass, wrist watch, altimeter, A/S indicator, 2 fuel guages, tachometer, oil pressure, sectional, E6B, pencil and an ELT (assuming you're not building a 3 and plan to carry passengers).

Think of all the extra panel space you'll have if you are building a 10. Maybe put a nice mural on the unused space. No, wait, you'll be able to tape your sectional, unfolded, to the panel. Wow, talk about a large screen, full color "moving map". The cat's meow for sure and for only about $500 (of course, you will be required to invest in chart updates every 56 days if you desire to remain current).

Well, you asked! :cool:

Jekyll

Last edited:
Glass

Jekyll, good one, like your sense of humor, the idea of the open map taped to the panel I might try.

O.K., back to being serious for a short time, I am trying to find out what those folks who are using electronic instruments would choose to use for a VFR mission aircraft.

At this time, I am leaning toward the engine monitor that Vans has in the -10 demonstrator, (I think it is by a company named Advanced Avionics), and some kind of moving map tied to a GPS. At this time, top of my list is the "Mountainscope" software loaded into a tablet P/C.

I welcome any input/comments.

Thanks, Mike

Mike S said:
O.K., back to being serious for a short time, I am trying to find out what those folks who are using electronic instruments would choose to use for a VFR mission aircraft.

I suspect that if you are building a CAVU VFR airplane, then most will simply panel mount a Garmin 396 and a radio and be done with it. Besides the required FAR VFR instruments, what else do you really need.

Now the second you cross that line into MVFR or any IFR, you take a significant jump in panel pricing. But be warned when you go to resale it,a VFR only panel will significanly limit your audience.

my .02,

Jekyll said:
Whiskey compass, wrist watch, altimeter, A/S indicator, 2 fuel guages, tachometer, oil pressure, sectional, E6B, pencil and an ELT (assuming you're not building a 3 and plan to carry passengers).

Think of all the extra panel space you'll have if you are building a 10. Maybe put a nice mural on the unused space. No, wait, you'll be able to tape your sectional, unfolded, to the panel. Wow, talk about a large screen, full color "moving map".
Jekyll

Except, you forgot one thing! :D The airplane symbol must MOVE on the taped on sectional! Otherwise you'll be staring at the sectional, rotating the E6B, and figuring math with the pencil; while your "occupied mind" and airplane clobbers the nearest rising terrain...

Out here in the mountain west, it seems to happen quite frequently. Both VFR & IFR!!!

L.Adamson -- advocate for the terrain data moving map :)

Alan, I have thought of the resale thing-------if/when I decide to sell, any fancy electronic googaas will be out of date, and need to be up-graded anyway, so why put stuff in that I dont need just to watch it march into obsolence while I fly around looking out the windows most of the time???

Yes, a good GPS is a must, now that Loran seems destined to follow the way of the dodo and passanger pigeons. My trusty 195 has served me well---(especially the "nearest" funtion when I dont like the looks of the weather ahead), but it is almost imposssable to see lots of the time, so I am planning on upgrading to a bigger, brighter, color screen.

Thanks for the input.

Mike

Mike:

On a serious note (I've temporarily gagged my sence of humor):

I'm VFR but wanted an IFR capable bird for future ticket up grade or resale. It's also handy for the time you find yourself looking at clouds from the inside or loose a discernable horizon. Done both of those. I try to get lots of hood time to keep my emergncy instrument skills in shape. I once flew over Tokyo harbor on an overcast day and realized that I couldn't see the horizon, the water and the clouds were all a dull gray. That was as a student pilot on a cross country. Very disconcerting but thankfully I was in a bird with a full six pack and my instructors had spent considerable time teaching me scanning and interpretation!

Once you build a night VFR panel you have most of the stuff needed for an instrument panel except maybe a clock.

Back to mine, I'm putting in a single GRT Horizon One and an SL-30. This will give me more than adequate day/night VFR and with the addition of AS, ALT and a TruTrak ADI, partial panel capability for an IFR backup.

If I was building a less capable panel for just VFR, I would go with a Dynon, a G-296/396 and an SL-40. I would skip a VOR.

I'm a believer in having a good engine analyzer. I was ready to pull the trigger on the AF-2500 but that was before I opted for the GRT Horizon One. In fact, I was looking at the BMA Sport with the AF-2500. You might also consider the BMA Lite. I looked at all these options and realized the GRT with the SL-30 just gave so much more capability for the money, especially when paired with their EIS, so I put my money there.

Somebody earlier said consider resale value. Good advice and something I always do on major purchases. I bet that in another 5 years, few people will consider buing something like an RV without a glass panel. I may be wrong and you are free to search for this thread in 5 years to hold against me, but...

And as for the moving map, the aircraft is moving under the map, I considered that to have satisfied the issue. :cool: I couldn't keep my humor checked that long.

Jekyll

Last edited:
D2A Pinpoint specs - for the skeptics :)

I found this on the D2A site this morning - A very nice sheet on the Pinpoint GADAHRS. This is gonna be a really nice replacement. Much better flexibility than the 42x series, and due to DO-160 testing, it should be much more reliable - as if you could really call the 42x series bad (compared that is to it's competition).

I was also talking with someone who has flown the 2 side by side (in this case, actually 3 side by side. Pinpoint, Xbow 42x, and the certified Xbow 500). This was in a new Epic LT.

They took off and climbed from the ground straight to 18000 feet, then pushed over to a negative g level off. Both the 42x *and* the 500 had the *leans* for a few seconds after the pushover. The Pinpoint was a rock, no leans, tracked the level off perfectly.

This test and some of the "shallow turns" for mulple revolutions and then reverse to the other direction are some of the toughest things for an AHRS to deal with. You'd think it was the rapid movements, but those are actually easier than the very small changes or gradual changes from a constant attitude.

Back