What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hangar Price Gouge??

LuisR

Well Known Member
Almost broke my jaw bone on the floor when I received this email response from Galaxy Aviation based at Witham Field (KSUA):

Tie down $95 per month 6 months minimum or $180 month for shorter terms no waiting
Shade hangars call 772.284.2760 for availability (I think they get $250)
Community Hangar $650 no waiting
:eek::eek::eek:

Still waiting on a response from Stuart Jet Center also at KSUA. Witham is the closest airport at 20 minutes. I've heard of these 3+ years waiting lists and wanted to get on it but... :eek::mad::mad::eek:

Almost broke my jaw bone on the floor when I received this email response from Galaxy Aviation based at Witham Field (KSUA):
Tie down $95 per month 6 months minimum or $180 month for shorter terms no waiting
Welcome to the wonderful world of aviation!

Dan,

Definitely priced right! But the 3.5 hr drive is not appealing. Hopefully I can find something in that price range locally.

Thanks!

Sorry to say, but that is the going rate around here. :(

Tie downs at North County (F45) are $75/month, no minimum term. T-hangars are around $625/month, but I believe they have some available right now.

Prices

The age-old law of real estate applies here, "location, location, location..."

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAA FAAST Team Member
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

At those prices I'd be looking to lease ground and build my own!!

Is this actually doable? I'd probably incur more expense if I have to build a hanger....Or is airport land cheap to lease/buy?

FlyBuddy2,

An airpark would be a dream. Airparks in this neck of the woods is 750K and up. NOT in my budget. Wonder what other areas are, price wise? Wife does want to get out of Florida one day...hmmm

Some airports allow you to lease the land long term and build your own hangar, and some don't. I asked to do that in New Smyrna Beach and they said "no way". Not sure why, but that was the answer I got. I owned my hangar at KSGS in South St. Paul, MN, and leased the land from the city. I am leasing a nice T hangar from the city of New Smyrna Beach for $338 per month. That includes electricity and water.
It would be worth checking with nearby airports to see if they will allow it. I thought I would really miss owning my own hangar, but now I am pretty happy with my set up at KEVB.

Here is the reply I got from Stuart Jet Center at KSUA...

Thank you for your inquiry.
I do have Tee Hangars available for lease.
Rate is $ 625 p/m
Hangars are equipped with hydraulic doors....

For now, my plan is to get a tie down. Who knows, maybe prices will drop when I'm done building. :rolleyes:

Anything wrong with tie-downs?

Anything wrong with tie-downs?

Rain, wind, sleet, hail, sun, etc........

The arguement has always been to pay for the hangar or a new paint job every x years. Most RV'ers go the hangar route. Unfortunately, there is no right answer, since everyone's situation is slightly different.

bob

Perhaps a tie-down with the addition of a set of custom covers?

A few months of hangar rental would pay for a set of covers...

I am in Ormond Beach , hangar w/elec is $398 per month with sales tax. It comes out to under $5 per sq ft (per year). I own and lease/rent out comm. property in our area it starts at $6.50 and goes up from there, some are triple net where the tennant pays all expenses including property tax. So $398 is not so bad considering a I also keep a 19 ft boat, motorcycles, and a 12ft high pallet rack full of stuff.
But at $650 vs $90 for tie down plus tax you could save enough ($7000+) per year to buy alot of fuel and pay for someone to detail your bird.

...But at $650 vs $90 for tie down plus tax you could save enough ($7000+) per year to buy alot of fuel and pay for someone to detail your bird.

Thats my thinking too. Bummer. I'm gonna have to get a hanger for a month or two for final assembly, or more? But I'll try to get as much as possible completed before moving to the airport.

Check with your EAA chapter

Thats my thinking too. Bummer. I'm gonna have to get a hanger for a month or two for final assembly, or more? But I'll try to get as much as possible completed before moving to the airport.

A few of the local EAA chapters have large hangers and members can lease some of the floor space for aircraft construction. You may want to contact your local chapters and see if they have a similar program. This may get you through the final assembly.

Another option is to get to know the regulars at the airport of your choice. About a year and a half ago I started taking tailwheel lessons a few Saturday's each month. It evolved into several friendships with the airport regulars and I still spend a few days each month just hanging out there. About 6 months ago I was told not to worry about getting a hanger because if there's none available when I'm ready they'll find room for me until one opens up. RV's are small enough that you may be able to share a hanger and split the cost. More options may come to light once you get to know the regulars that hang around the airport.

Back