What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Building leading edge

hectorrv4

Can any one think why I can not build the leading edge onto the main spar without setting the whole shotin match in the jig? I.E lay the spar on a flat surface, set the L/E ribs in place and put the skin on.
There is a reason I would like to do it this way. Due to the temperature in the hanger at present, it is not practicle to work out side of the airconditioning, there is a room at work that I can use, but I have to keep it useable for work stuff. If I can assemble the L/E on its own, I can keep working untill it cools down, then move the project out into the hanger.
Cheers
Bill

Leading edge skin

When I built my RV-4 wing I relied heavily on the rest of the wing and the jig to draw down the skin and make it tight. It seems that it would be difficult to get the leading edge skin tight enough without having something fastened to it. Just my opinion.
John

I didn't build my leading edges. Previous builder did them, I know he didn't do anything with the trailing edge because I did all that. I suspect he just did the straps directly to the spar on a large bench.

Back