What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Innovation saves the day!

ronschreck

Well Known Member
WILMINGTON, N.C. ? Driving rain from a storm system moving up the East Coast brought flooding to parts of North Carolina on Thursday, caused soggy morning commutes in the Northeast and prompted worries of additional flooding as far north as Maine.

Tornado watches were issued from North Carolina to New Jersey.

In North Carolina, the nearly 21 inches collected in Wilmington since rain started falling Sunday topped Hurricane Floyd's five-day mark of 19 inches set in 1999, the National Weather Service said.

At nearby Stag Airpark (7NC1) Tony "Sleepy" Spicer worked feverishly through the night to prepare Charlie "Bones" Plunkett's homebuilt RV-8 aircraft for takeoff from the soggy sod airstrip. "It's completely under water", said Plunkett of the small grass runway. Plunkett is the number 4 or "slot" pilot for the famed "Team RV", an aerobatic formation demonstration team that performs at air shows throughout the country. "Bones hasn't missed a performance yet" said Spicer, "and I'll be hanged if he's going to miss one this weekend". Team RV will be performing at Stockmar Airport (20GA) on Saturday.

And Charlie Plunkett will be there with the rest of the team. This reporter snapped a photo as Bones lifted off the lake that was formerly Stag Airpark.

bonesonfloats.jpg

photo credit: Jerry "Widget" Morris (Team RV)

What's going on at Stockmar this weekend? What time do I need to be there to catch the performance?

Stockmar is holding its first ever to my knowledge air show 20ga at 1300 Saturday.
Gates open at noon.
This is a public air show waiver event featuring, and only featuring, Team RV!

Come on out and say hello.

Unusual Cargo!

I see that the amphib RV8 seems to be hauling a yellow biplane, trees, a person and what looks to be a water tower. I always knew the RV8 had a good load carrying capacity, but...
Steve Barnes "The Builders Coach"

I see that the amphib RV8 seems to be hauling a yellow biplane, trees, a person and what looks to be a water tower. I always knew the RV8 had a good load carrying capacity, but...
Steve Barnes "The Builders Coach"

When Bones was an Air Force Examiner, he was affectionally know as "Santa Claus" for his easy grading. Part of his checklist was,,
"Toys in the Rear, Beard Clear, Canopy closed"

Not the first Airshow there Kahuna!

I attended one in the mid sixties when it was still a grass strip! Three J-3 Cubs were used to demonstrate 'safety' of aircraft. They staggered at 1000',2000',3000' and shutdown the engines and stopped the props. They glided down and one by one the pilots stepped out on the right wheel and propped the engines from behind. The last one frantically tried until the last possible minute and got back inside just in time to dead stick the J-3.

Awesome Performance!

I drove out to Stockmar with the family to catch Team RV perform. What a great job you guys did! I always get chills watching the missing man formation, and I especially love the 4 man loops. Kudos to you all!

Back