What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Joint Formation Clinic, Ft Scott (FSK), 16-19 Sep 10

Stu McCurdy

Well Known Member
Well, we just concluded a first ever Joint Formation Clinic between RVs and YAK/CJs at Ft Scott (FSK) on 16-19 Sep 10. The idea was born after Oshkosh we RVs fly our formations and the YAK/CJs theirs. We party over here and they over there. Never the two meet on common ground. So Mike Filucci of the YAKs and I discussed a Joint Clinic so we could meet each other, fly together, learning from both.

To prepare for the clinic, Mike and Terry Calloway in one Yak, and Roy Geer and I in our 2 RVs met half way at Admore OK to discuss, take reference line pictures, and fly together. We concluded there was relatively little difference, the flight characteristics were similar, and that we could safely do it.

So, on 16 Sep we flew into FSK with 14 RVs and 8 YAK/CJs. We had planned 20 of each, but that did not come about. After a Joint Briefing to discuss procedures, techniques, signals, reference lines, and speeds, we flew 1 RV/ 1 Yak missions to familiarize all pilots. Then we flew 2 RV/ 2 YAK similar element missions, then 1 RV/ 1 YAK, 1 YAK/ 1 RV mixed element flights. Now feeling confident about our ability to flew mixed joint formations, I briefed a Large Formation 20-ship with five 4-ships, each 4-ship having at least 1 YAK/CJ in it. We flew it twice with good debriefing to learn from and make it better the next time.

The city of Ft Scott, from the Airport Manager to restaurant owners to City Manager, showed exceptionable hospitality. They continuously thanked us for coming and asked what they could do to help out. Terry Calloway, one of the CJ organizers and nearby resident, organized the non-flying activities including lunches at the airport and three dinners at downtown restaurants, the last two at a renovated dinner theater. The dinners were sumptuous and delicious and included a talk by a former SR-71 pilot and then a Glenn Miller style orchestra.

Great weekend of learning and flying and socializing.

view

Back