What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DupliColor Self Etch on Firewall Stiffeners?

danielhv

Well Known Member
Im referring to the aluminum angles and gussets that go on the interior side of the firewall.... is primer needed on these? and will there be any temperature considerations I need to account for? I've been using the Duplicolor self etch on everything up to this point... I assume it will be ok on the interior side of the firewall?

Dan,

In my opinion you really need to prime AND top coat the parts that contact the firewall. The dissimilar metal's need to be separated.

That's what I did

Dupli-color self etching zinc chromate is what I used for the f/w stiffeners. Used on all internals to date, actually.

Not sure they still make this stuff. I can't find it on any of their websites.

zcprimer.jpg

Last edited:
Im referring to the aluminum angles and gussets that go on the interior side of the firewall.... is primer needed on these? and will there be any temperature considerations I need to account for?

Some say design is the art of intelligent compromise.....and this one is yours to decide. On one hand, painting the 6061 aluminum firewall angles may prevent a future corrosion problem. On the other hand, paint (or glue, or plastic, or rubber) on the cabin side of a standard firewall creates a cabin smoke and flame problem in the event of an engine compartment fire.

Did a fire test rig demonstration for my EAA chapter. None of them will ever paint a firewall.

PS; just saw the spray can photo....wonder how well a human can tolerate zinc chromate smoke?

Last edited:
PS; just saw the spray can photo....wonder how well a human can tolerate zinc chromate smoke?

Interesting point Dan, and I'll admit I hadn't investigated or tested this this prior. The MSDS doesn't address flammability or flash point of the solids after cure.

A search of OSHA does indicate that zinc chromate is not flammable (but admittedly doesn't address smoldering or smoke):
http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/healthguidelines/zincchromate/recognition.html

And to be clear, only the angles are primed, not the firewall.

alclad?

Aluminum angle extrusions are not alclad, but the formed angle stock used on the firewall (or at least the RV-10 firewall) are alclad. See materials list supplied with kit. All the airplanes I've owned have had oily firewalls, and no corrosion worries there, so I opted for the no paint option. -Andy

Back