What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine monitor advice

NYTOM

Well Known Member
Finally settled on the ESI 4000 for my RV-6A 0-360 but before I actually plunk down the cash at Sun n Fun I was wondering if any of you 4000 owners out there have had any second thoughts on your purchase. I'm a analog kind of guy and like having a lot of independant gauges and only really want the 4000 for the CHT/EGT feature to help me lean properly. I know there's much nicer units (read more expensive) out there but the thought of that magic screen going dark with all that info on it is scary. I've asked a hundred people about proper leaning and have gotten a hundred different answers on ways to do it. The 4000 seems like the best value out there to help me and would like some comments from happy & unhappy owners. :confused:

Last edited:
Just my .02

Remember you asked :)...

If you are having a problem with "screens" going blank, don't think it matters which unit you pick. All the numbers are on the screens whether it's the EIS, the AF-2500, the MVP-50, etc. So they all have the problem.

Here' my nickel on the EIS tho.... That's a very small display with only 2 lines to give you information quickly. It has no analog representation of instruments, it can only show about 6 (maybe 8) different values at one time (or you can "screen switch" to other pages, but try doing that while you are in the soup and need to reduce power to intercept the localizer). Also have you ever tried to set the RPM or Prop with just a digital gauge? You'll get over it, but it will drive you nutz chasing just a number as opposed to a "dial".

If looking for inexpensive, then perhaps the dynon, or AF-2500 would be better for you.... Seriously, I'd got to SNF with an open mind and *shop hard*, it's always amazing what hungry vendors are willing to do to get a sale there....

But the engine instruments are one of the more critical instrument in your airplane, don't sell you self short and make sure you go in "eyes wide open".

Just my .02,

Grt 4000

NYTOM said:
Finally settled on the ESI 4000 for my RV-6A 0-360 but before I actually plunk down the cash at Sun n Fun I was wondering if any of you 4000 owners out there have had any second thoughts on your purchase. I'm a analog kind of guy and like having a lot of independant gauges and only really want the 4000 for the CHT/EGT feature to help me lean properly. I know there's much nicer units (read more expensive) out there but the thought of that magic screen going dark with all that info on it is scary. I've asked a hundred people about proper leaning and have gotten a hundred different answers on ways to do it. The 4000 seems like the best value out there to help me and would like some comments from happy & unhappy owners. :confused:
The GRT 4000 gives you a lot more info than just CHT/EGT. I love mine, I have 450 Hrs on the unit. The people at GRT are great to work with, if you have a problem just call Sandy, she will take you by the hand and fix your problem if need be. I don't think can go wrong. You asked.

Having an analog tach would be nice, but the engine monitor does something that a panel full of round gauges won't do -- it flashes a big fat red light if anything goes out of bounds. I would have mine just for that feature alone. As far as it going blank, I'll land at the nearest airport and get 'er fixed.

GRT EIS4000, Love it great company best buy

I guess the title says it all. There is no better value in the panel than the EIS4000. With its CONS the PRO is it cost several thousand less.

I can go on about all the features. I can also say those fancy EM's with color are pretty. However spacific comments: The EIS is going to be more rugged than the other units in my opinion (thus less likely to go blank, which never happened to me or have I heard of any); Second is does have BAR GRAPH display of EGT/CHT, so it does have a semi-analog display (combined with the LEAN set point function and all the other functions, provides a powerful tool for efficient leaning and monitoring).

Overall you will be very happy (if you don't get color envy). If you had several grand laying around I guess you could by a fancy color EM, but it will not make your plane more fun to fly or faster. It works well and the WARNING function is very nice. I have no regrets. George

Another great feature of the EIS 4000 is that you can upgrade to a full graphical display at any time just by adding the display.

In fact, the best deal going is to buy the EIS 4000 with the graphical display for about $3000, but then you can add a full function moving map capability to the same display for only about $250 more.

And these upgrades can be done at any time.

Back