What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Propellers

cronson

I'm New Here
2- Hartzell Propellors HC82VL-2C1 off of PA23-160 Apache 107.4 hours smoh
$2500.00 each negotiable. Suitable for RV. Located at the St. Thomas, Ontario Canada airport (CYQS) Call 519-637-8359 or email [email protected] Chuck Ronson

Apache Prop not RV prop

cronson said:
2- Hartzell Propellors HC82VL-2C1 off of PA23-160 Apache 107.4 hours smoh
$2500.00 each negotiable. Suitable for RV. Located at the St. Thomas, Ontario Canada airport (CYQS) Call 519-637-8359 or email [email protected] Chuck Ronson
Chuck, I think you mean a HC82XL-2C1. I had a PA23-160 and there are no HC82VL's listed.

Looking at the prop data Type certificate:

It weighs 66lbs (each)
Its a feathering prop (that's why it weighs so much)
Uses steel clamps hub/blade retention subject to an AD. :(

Also, I know this the hard way, this prop over the many years has had clamp, hub and blade AD's: At min it has an AD for repetitive die penetrate and eddy current inspections. I slod my Apache before this AD came out, but recall the interval varies but its not a long period (250-500 hours). Even though we are experimental and need not meet the AD inspections, I honestly don't think this prop is good for RV's at any price, sorry no offense Sir. It is too heavy and feathering is not cool for a single engine plane. Bottom line this prop is not one of the many props recommended by Van's Aircraft. :(

"Suitable for RV"

Not to bust on your prop, but I think its better suited for a Piper Apache. I have a friend with a PA23 and will ask him if he is interested. He still uses the old props and just deals with the re-occurring inspections, since he did not spend the $16 GRAND for the new replacement props Hartzell offered a few years back. Suggest you find a Piper list to advertise, its not well suited for the RV. Good luck.

If you find any HC-C2YK's with F7666 blades than that would be of interest to RV'ers. :)

Respectfully George

PS Welcome to the group, I see you just joined today. Are you building yet?

Last edited:
Back