What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Robert L. Scott

Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
The first real book I ever read as a young boy was "God is My Co-pilot" by Robert L. Scott. I was told in this forum that he was associated with a museum in Georgia and I really wanted to see the man and hear him speak but I didn't make it happen. I see tonight in my AvwebFlash 12.09b that he has died at 97. He was bigger than life to us young boys in the 1940s as a Flying Tiger in a Curtis P-40 and he made a big impression on me through his book.

Bob Axsom

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Bob,
General Scott is associated with the Museum of Aviation here in Warner Robins, GA. There is a large exhibit in his honor on the second floor of the museum as well as a Robert L. Scott Heritage Foundation. Check out http://www.museumofaviation.org. He passed away Monday evening.
I am new to the area here and have to admit I did not know about him. I did recently attend the annual banquet that is held in his honor and he was there. He looked very weak and was in a wheel chair. However, he did manage to stand during the National Anthem. It was very heart-warming to see the large crowd (which included our senior senator from GA) pay their respects to a man that had obviously given so much to his country and his community. The stories I have read and heard make me wish I had gotten to meet him sooner.
If you ever find yourself near middle Georgia you should stop by the museum. It is very nice indeed!

Bob Axsom said:
The first real book I ever read as a young boy was "God is My Co-pilot" by Robert L. Scott. I was told in this forum that he was associated with a museum in Georgia and I really wanted to see the man and hear him speak but I didn't make it happen. I see tonight in my AvwebFlash 12.09b that he has died at 97. He was bigger than life to us young boys in the 1940s as a Flying Tiger in a Curtis P-40 and he made a big impression on me through his book.

Bob Axsom

It was my first real book also as a boy under 10. A GREAT read!

Jekyll

Back