What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New way to drain the battery & create a hazard

Rick_A

Well Known Member
I learned a new way to drain a battery - wire you EI direct to the battery and leave the EI on overnight.

When I went to go for a flight this morning, I noticed that my EI toggle switch was in the ON position (I don't have a key switch, just toggle switches for the Mag and EI). Even though I have switch guards, I must have bumped it while working on the plane yesterday. My first thought was - Wow what a potential safety hazard and I'm sure glad I didn't mess with the prop much pulling the plane out of the hanger.

When I went to start the engine, my battery died after 1 slow revolution on the starter.

My Lightspeed ignition is wired direct to the battery through a CB. This is the recommended configuration because it allows the EI to continue to work even if there is a major electrical failure. So even though my Master was off, the EI was still on.

I think I'll be looking for some locking switches, like the Eaton/Honeywell switches that Stein sells while I'm at Osh next week.

Hopefully you have an Odyssey battery, they dont seem to mind a deep discharge too much.

I learned a new way to drain a battery - wire you EI direct to the battery and leave the EI on overnight.

Not trying to belabor the obvious, and as you pointed out, your prop was "hot" during that entire time, which obviously is a pretty big safety issue--and another very good reason to have the locking mag switch! :)

I have the same setup and the last thing I do before leaving the hangar is to check master, "mags," and baggage light (which in my airplane is also hot). Have a great time at the show!

Last edited:
What ignition? I have left mine on for over a week and it made no difference to my PC680. I have the Electroair system.

Rick,
Have you considered wiring a piezo electric buzzer to that switch? It could be mounted in the engine compartment so that when the switch is in the ON position it will sound...when the engine is running it will likely be drowned-out by engine noise - kind of like the tone in a vehicle that reminds one that he has left his lights on.... :rolleyes:

Fred, a buzzer is a good idea but I'm going to go with the locking switches.

I always turn OFF the mag/EI immediately upon shut down. I'm now going to double and triple check that the switches are in the OFF position before walking away from the plane.

The locking switches should prevent accidental movement of the switches. I have "space shuttle" switch guards but they are not idiot proof.

I was already considering replacing my Master with a locking switch. I accidentally turned off the Master instead of the Mag once during run-up. Which is the first time I learned that switch guards alone don't protect against a dumb mistakes.

Regarding the suggestion for the covered toggles. I've not seen any that protect both for OFF and ON. Since I want the Mag/EI to be locked ON during flight, I don't see how a cover would provide that function. I use a cover on my E-BUSS switch but that's normally OFF and would only be ON if I had an main Alternator failure.

LSE EI

I'm surprised that the LSE ignition ran your battery down; they usually only draw 80 ma each if they're not being triggered. At that low a current drain even a 20AH battery should last several days with two EIs. Could you be powering something else, or... ?

Back