What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

For RV Buyers, not builders..

Skyhook

Well Known Member
When you purchased your partially-completed or flying RV, did you have the folks @ Van's change the ownership files to you?

If so, How did it go?

Huh ???

Your question implies more than is really there. You just send a copy of the bill of sale to Van's and ask them to transfer the serial number to you. It's all layed out in Van's doc on buying a flying RV. If something comes out like a SB that affects that serial number, you get it. Really not much more to it than that.

John

This is important to do with whether you're buying a partially built kit or completed RV. Reason....Van's needs to know where to send important notifications, etc... We just went through this with an RV4 in our shop that is being repaired after suffering an unfortuneate landing incident. The prop was ruined, so the current owner wanted to install a new Hartzell C/S as long as we're doing a big upgrade on the plane. Van's was able to verify that this plane had a FP prop on it and qualified for the OEM prop purchase, but when the owner ordered the prop, Van's was unable to verify the chain of ownership. The current owner was #5, and it took a bit of work to prove he even owned the plane (as far as Van's was concerned) and the chain of sales from the builder was hard to come by. It was finally resolved, but if each seller had notified Van's when it sold it would have been a non issue. BTW, this wasn't Van's being picky, but their OEM agreement with Hartzell is such that they can only allow each builder ONE prop, and this owner needed to prove to Hartzell that an earlier owner or original builder hand't already purchased a prop with the OEM discount.

Just my 2 cents as usual!

Cheers,
Stein.

Last edited:
When I bought my wing kit from an individual I called Van's and faxed them a copy of the bill of sale for the wing kit and that was it. No problem. BTW does anyone out there have the empennage kit #90662?

Call Barbara too

Just call Barbara also with sending a bill of sale and she will make it right. She did that for me when I bought an old wing kit and transferred it to my file. That way Van's knows you bought all the kits required to make a whole airplane and you can get the OEM parts too. At first she said, "We don't even show you as owning a wing kit" and I said "That's why I am calling you." The wing kit's record was still on file with the previous owner.

Thanks for the replies.. The part of the process I did not, and still do not, particularly like is sharing the Bill-o-Sale info.

I wonder if the FAA registration info will suffice. Guess I'll just call Barbara and ask. :cool:

Well, I sent in an email telling of my needs and quandry and got back a terse, uber business reply: "Send us a copy of your Bill of Sale..."

So there it will lie.

Skyhook,

Why do you care if Van's sees the Bill of Sale? If you are concerned about them seeing what you paid for it, have the seller make out an additional bill of sale and quote a price of "One dollar and other valuable consideration". This is the standard form on a Coast Guard Bill of Sale for a boat, so I expect is will work fine for an aircraft. You may want a Bill of Sale showing the real price for sales tax purposes, but no one else needs to see that one.

ptrotter said:
Skyhook,

Why do you care if Van's sees the Bill of Sale? If you are concerned about them seeing what you paid for it, have the seller make out an additional bill of sale and quote a price of "One dollar and other valuable consideration". This is the standard form on a Coast Guard Bill of Sale for a boat, so I expect is will work fine for an aircraft. You may want a Bill of Sale showing the real price for sales tax purposes, but no one else needs to see that one.

The previous owner (builder) has health and other serious issues and is not capable of assisting.

I will reconsider my situation and re-connectr with Vans sometime in the future.

As long as this pipeline remains open, I doubt I would gain much from Van's notices/SBs, etc. I even dropped my subscription to the RVator. Maybe I'm just hopeless? :rolleyes:

Back