What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sam James short cowl w/ O-360?

N941WR

Legacy Member
I've been working on modifying the stock FAB to work with the short James cowl and have run into a few issues.

Could some of you post a picture of the FAB you are using with a carb and the short cowl?

My O-360 has a vertical induction and the carb opening is in the center of the oil sump. The standard FAB had to be shortened about an inch just to fit in the cowl. The transition piece to go from the D shaped FAB opening to the round opening will require me to cut a few more inches off the front of the FAB. Then I need to figure out how I?m going to add the connector for the carb heat and flapper door.

It looks like I either have to extensively modify the FAB or move the intake ring forward on the bottom of the cowl. My current thinking is to modify the FAB and leave the cowl alone but I want to see what the rest of you have done.

Thanks for the help.

Hey Bill, I can't help with your set up. But will tell you I've had big issues with the James long cowl, Plenum and FAB. ended up hacking my plenum to make room for fuel spider and lengthen it a touch, also the rings didn't align very well. got to the FAB and could get anything to fit very well. AFP injection on a Superior Forward facing sump. used a Bowers Ram air. But had to cut, enlarge and re-glass the cowl for clearance.

the choices I made when I decided to go custom and deviate from the plans has added at least 150hrs...so far. Oh well getting the plane I want, someday.

Hi Bill,

I have the SJ short cowl with vertical fuel injection. I needed to heavily modify the Van's FAB to get it to work. I think my same process should work for you, since the fuel controller and carb are roughly the same for FAB mounting. My documentation starts here on the FAB, and goes for about a dozen pages:

http://rvplane.com/?categoryid=6&dayid=682

Good Luck,

Back