What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Instrument Authorization for My RV??

Randy Erwin

I am just curious at this point....it's a lot of money (read avionics) down the road from here, but I am just curious as to exactly what steps have to be taken before one can leagally operate their RV in controlled airspace under IFR conditions. I assume it is much more involved than just installing the neccessary equipment and blazing off into the muck. First off, does the equipment have to be TSO'd for IFR? Is there any kind of proving flight(s) or physical inspection required by an FAA inspector with a subsequent issuance of some kind of certificate for the A/C logbook?

Thanks Brian. I'm still a little confused though. Does the aircraft itself have to go through some kind of inspection and be certified for IFR, or is it just a matter of having the required equipment installed?

Thanks Brian. I'm still a little confused though. Does the aircraft itself have to go through some kind of inspection and be certified for IFR, or is it just a matter of having the required equipment installed?

No aircraft inspection required (other than the standard Transponder/Pitot/Static checks, which you need anyway if you have a transponder). You, as the operator, are assuring that the aircraft is equipped per the FAR's, according to your Operating Limitations.

Paul

Thank you Paul. That makes perfect sense. I was having a discussion with one of our IA's here in the company I work for, and that is pretty much exactly what he said as well. I appreciate all the input guys, thanks again.

Back