What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any info on Mustang Beach (KRAS)?

DBone

Well Known Member
With phase 1 done, the wife and I are looking to take a little "mini" cross country THIS WEEKEND (6/26-27). The wife suggested Mustang Beach (KRAS) since it's only about a 2 hour flight from Dallas. I searched the forums, but there's no specific info, and all the info I did find was 2+ years old.

Our first pass plan looks like this:
- Leave Dallas Saturday afternoon and land in time for a good seafood dinner
- Find a cool place to relax and have a few drinks Saturday night
- Wake up Sunday (without setting an alarm!), grab breakfast or brunch (hopefully more seafood), then head for home

If anybody has suggestions on where to stay for a night and/or where to eat good seafood, we're all ears. Not sure how much longer fresh Gulf seafood will be available!

Thanks!

Last edited:
You and me both......

I have a friend who has a condo (rental) on Mustang Island about 10 miles south of Mustang Beach Strip. Have been by there many times, very nice strip. If I ever get this pesky checkride out of the way for my PPL, that's where I'll be going. I had even thought about keeping an airport car down there. They have nice tie downs, but I don't think any hangar space. I was down there Memorial Day Weekend and the parking was really crowded, but I don't think it is always that way. Watch out for that Sun, I had my shoes off for about 30 minutes at the beach and the tops of my feet got a little red.

Call me & I will give you David's number, he is an airplane guy (Bearhawk) and might give you a break, 3 bdrm on the bay. 713 705 2090.

Last edited:
Been there, loved it

I've made that flight at least 20 times. Very nice day trip or overnighter.
They have fuel. They recently redid the ramp(s) but they did not put in tie down rings or ropes!!!

There are tie downs in the grass area adjacent to the runway and that is where I always park if there is even a hint of wind.

A cab ride into town is $5 (last time I went, a few weeks ago). There are literally hundreds of places to stay and at least a dozen good places to eat in town.

You can walk to the beach, it's about a mile or so. There is also a free trolley that runs hourly, but I've never managed to catch it. :)

Eat

Don't miss the Crazy Cajun! They dump a big pot of gulf seafood right on the white paper table cloth in front of you. Its awesome. Its been there (in several diff locations) for years.

Back