What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dummy vs. Lycoming oil systems

BruceMe

Well Known Member
I'm sizing the hoses for my O-320-B2C. I can't find any information online for this. So I thought I'd check with the group.

I have three threaded oil ports on the back of the engine. One high up on the engine and to the left, one low and the right (but a long way from the sump) and the last is dead in middle next to the screen filter.

There's a forth barbed port, which I believe is a breather?

The top left is the inverted pickup... I think it's a second breather. The lower right is probably plumbed to the sump. The middle is the intake to the oil pump.

So I "THINK" I need to run a hose from the bottom right to the oil cooler, then from the oil cooler to the middle port (oil pump intake). The upper left port and the barbed port are run to the the air/oil seperator.

Can anyone tell if Dummy have this right?

-Bruce (aka Dummy)

Oil cooler lines

Bruce, I am not sure about the ports on your particular engine, nor the location of your cooler.You should only use 2 ports for non-inverted, and the barbed port is the breather. I am running an 0320H2AD (bastard child!)and had already ordered the VANS 134/135 lines...needless to say, they are enroute back to VANS, as they are way to short. VANS offers a VA190 for the -10 that is 27" long, and I need 25", so they would probably work. Lines are easy to fab using the supplies VANS offers, however you cant easily pressure check them. Good luck!...I am right there with you.

Bill..RV-4 lots of misc. stuff to go.

Cooler

Oil cooler location is probably not important... But it's off the left rear baffle.

I will likely cut all my own lines for the oil and fuel system. Before someone posts this; I know I need to ensure there's no rubber debris in the tubes after cutting and all fuel lines firewall forward require fire sleeve.

Thanks,

-Bruce

Back