What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Router for Al sheet cutting

petehowell

Well Known Member
Van's indicates you can use a guided carbide router bit to cut the spinner backplate to match the doubler. Has anyone done this? I have the tools and it would be a nice solution. Just checking to see if it works.

Yes, it works. I haven't done it on my RV but we used to do it all the time where I worked. Bolt the thing you are cutting down on some plywood and cut 1/16" into the plywood as well. Bear in mind that the bits will fly everywhere. I think you need to use a reasoably high speed and narrow bit (1/4" spiral flute is what I remember that we used, but it was a while ago).

Pete

rb

im using spiral router bit on dremel tool,it has variable speed so you can control it ,but this way you have to make jig if you can use regular router bit with bearing its more easyier

Router worked Great

Used a router with a straight bit to trim the CS prop spinner backplate to the doubler. Took about 10 min and came out great. Smooth controlled cut. A bit of final filing and it was done.

Back