What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Operating Limitations for Phase I Item #4 question...

Brantel

Well Known Member
I am about to make the log entry to satisfy the requirements of my Phase I operating limitations for item #4...

This is the one that requires that Vso, Vx and Vy and the weight and CG location at which they were obtained are entered.

My question is what weight and CG do I use...Solo weight? Max Gross Weight? or ?

Since I tested in various configurations, which one goes here? I assume max gross since that would require the max performance? I want to be sure.

Is it this entry that determines the max gross weight and CG limit or is that dependant on the most recent W&B datasheet that must be in the aircraft at all times?

Thanks!

My question is what weight and CG do I use...Solo weight? Max Gross Weight? or ?
Max gross weight!

Since I tested in various configurations, which one goes here? I assume max gross since that would require the max performance? I want to be sure.
Yep!

Is it this entry that determines the max gross weight and CG limit or is that dependant on the most recent W&B datasheet that must be in the aircraft at all times?
It is this entry that determines your max gross weight. If your gross weight changes later, you will need to place the aircraft back into phase I, test to the new weight, and make a new entry showing the new gross weight.

Thanks!

See above info.

Question for Mel...

So if it is this entry that determines the max gross for an experimental, and the aircraft log is not required to be in the aircraft during flight, how would a ramp check official know what your max gross weight actually is if they wanted to check to see if you were over gross? Looks like in reality the W&B datasheet that you must carry would be more appropriate...

So many questions revolving around the convoluted FARS!!!! I believe they are designed that way so they always have something to burn you on if they so desire!!!

Yea, good question, so how does the CG figure into this? Should there be a range listed in this statement to satisfy #4 or just whatever it was at gross weight testing? What if this was not at the full aft limit?

What about C.G.?

Your current weight & balance report needs to be in the aircraft at all times. That current W&B report should show the max gross weight and C/G range.

Looks like in reality the W&B datasheet that you must carry would be more appropriate...

Why would they not be the same? You did a new weight & balance report when you did the new phase I sign off.
All current W&B information must match!

Back