What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stewart Systems EkoEtch + EkoPrime?

Inverted

Well Known Member
Does anyone have any experience with EkoEtch and EkoPrime from Stewart Systems? I am considering using them as a less toxic alternative to akzo and would appreciate any feedback I can get.

Yes!

I've been working with the Stewart System for several months now. I've tried, given up, tried again, given up, and now I'm trying again to get this system to work for me.

I'm using the exact equipment they use in their video but had trouble getting the primer to shoot without flashing too quickly. I ended up thining with dist water to about 25 seconds. That worked. The key is to let it tack for about 10 minutes between coats and go thin on each coat.

The biggest problem I've had is how translucent the top coat is. For some reason both Doug and Dan believe that the white primer is the best to use even though I'm shooting insignia blue (which is very dark). No matter what gun settings I tried there was simply no way it was going to cover the primer in the 4 coat process. Even 6 coast still showed through a bit. The temptation was to try to thicken each coat a little...bad idea! RUNS! What I ended up doing was shooting 3 coats with 10 minutes tack time between coats (75-85 deg temp). Let the 3 rd coat dry an hour and shoot 3 more coats. The six coat shines up nice. It hind sight I think if you are shooting a darker color you should use the grey primer instead.

It looks great when all conditions are perfect and you time the coats but the system is very touchy to deviations in technique and the environment. In retrospect, I should have gone with PPG.

my .02

Ken

I have had good results with the one-part primers, cleaner, and etch, but very mixed results with topcoats. Regrettably I don't think I will use Stewart's for the exterior paint. Recently spoke with a body shop owner. In CA they are being forced into water-based paints which require more effort (spraying technique, temperature, humidity control)to get a good finish. The epoxy primer caused rust spots on steel parts so I won't use that again either.

Back