What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Our Most Wonderful Trip

Chris Kleen

I'm New Here
Torrance California to Gold Beach Oregon

I asked my wife, Indira, if she wanted to go anywhere for the weekend. Yes, she did, but she was busy so it was up to me to make the travel plans. While wandering through some travel tips in the Andrew Harper newsletter I saw the Tu Tu? Tun Lodge (http://www.tututun.com/) along the Rogue River in Gold Beach (4S1). The weather map showed a high pressure system over Southern Oregon and Northern California, so it was time to strike while the iron was hot. I made reservations with the lodge for a room with a king bed overlooking the river at their winter rate of $115. Checking with the Port of Gold Beach, I found out the airport has two loaner cars available for $20 a day and 10 cents per mile. All you have to do is call Jerry when you get there.
Making use of Dan Checkoway?s Serious Pilot Weather I plotted out a route that would get us there non-stop. I made sure to get the pre-flight completed on Friday night so it would be kick the tires and light the fire Saturday morning (after, Indira?s pedicure, of course). We would have made it out earlier but the coastal fog held us for a while. Finally, we were wheels up at 11:30 and on our way through the Los Angeles Special Flight Rules Corridor towards the Gorman VOR and points north.
We maintained 85 for best winds and stayed just east of the San Francisco class B airspace and west of Nut Tree, then we flew up the coast the rest of the way. It is quite a sight to see the City by the Bay and the Golden Gate Bridge off to the west. As we flew north I kept my eye on a lingering cloud line just off the coast that sometimes makes a break inland once the temperature drops, but it did not happen. We flew over Crescent City (CEC) and it was a postcard shot all along the coast. We made our descent into Gold Beach for a modified straight in to runway 34. This is one of those places that when they say the runway is on the beach ? they mean it is on the beach. Just to the north of the airport is the Rogue River making its way into the Pacific Ocean. As we taxied in to the ramp with the slider back we could hear the surf. 4 hours and 3 minutes, with a fuel burn of 27 gallons makes for a great afternoon! We found Jerry, he got us fueled and had the car (?85 Chevy Caprice!) ready for us with directions to the lodge.
We get checked into our room which has a spectacular view of the Rogue River. All the rooms have a fishing theme and are named after places on the river ? ours was the Big Fish Riffle room. This was the off season at the lodge so the restaurant was not open. After we freshened up, at the recommendation of the friendly lady at the front desk, we headed off to a nice dinner at Nor?wester Seafood. The weather rolled in from off shore and provided the normal ?Oregon sunshine?. A 1985 Chevy?s wipers aren?t the best but they managed to get the job done with some loud screeching along the way.
After a great night?s sleep we enjoyed the lodge?s continental breakfast ? fresh fruit, homemade granola, muffins, juice and coffee. As in Camelot, by the morning the weather had retreated back off shore and provided just enough visibility for a positive VFR departure.
As we taxied out a gentleman waved vigorously at us, so we went to see what he wanted. He has just moved in to his hangar that morning and was finishing up on 15 years of building a 6A and he simply wanted to share with a fellow RV builder. I promised that we would swing by on our next trip to check on his progress, then we were on our way.
We departed Rwy 34 with a left downwind to fly friendly out of the community and made our way again over a picture perfect coast line to Paso Robles for lunch at Matthew?s at the Airport (www.matthewsattheairport.com). This has to be one of the greatest destinations for lunch or dinner in our local flying area. Their menu even addresses the hundred dollar hamburger. After stuffing ourselves and refueling we headed toward Santa Barbara and then on to the Los Angeles basin back through the Special Flight Rules Corridor and on to Torrance. Finally, after 438 hours on the Hobbs, I made my first greaser three point landing!
This was a perfect trip that made all of those years of head scratching and questioning myself as to what have I gotten myself into all very worth while. What makes it even better is when Indira asks, ?What is our next adventure, dear?? Great wife and a great plane, I have all I need.

Chris Kleen
RV6 N515CW

Thanks for sharing details of the trip. Sounds like an interesting place to visit, with great scenery on the way.

L.Adamson

It is a very good destination

I flew up there several times from John Wayne when I lived out there. Another route is up by Mt. Shasta then out to the coast. Another place to stop for food (my favorite) was Harris Ranch. If you go up there in season the Jot's Resort just north of the bridge will pick you up at the airport (I have walked it also). You can buy tickets for Jerry's Rogue Jets for a half day or full day trip up the river with lunch at the turnaround. They pick you up at the dock and you do not need a car at all.

Bob Axsom

Matthew's restaurant in Paso Robles good , huh?

We flew in one day to check out my Uncle's property in Atascadero (sp?) and that restaurant looked real nice with white table cloths and that newish, clean terminal.

We'll fly over there and try it.

p.s. nice meeting you and seeing your gorgeous Yellow and white 6 at CMA last week.

mark

Back