What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Don't do this...

rv8ch

Well Known Member
Patron
Just read this story about a Glasair II doing low level aerobatics over the passenger's neighborhood, and for some reason, crashing into a house, killing a guy inside the house. Can it get any worse? I guess he could have done this while busting an ADIZ...

http://www.sacbee.com/content/breakingnews/story/14184372p-15011493c.html

2300213crashnew3iv.jpg

We have enough P. R. problems in general aviation without morons like this adding to them.

Bob Severns

The local media in the area, including TV, have been pretty kind to kitplanes and pilot in general considering the circumstances.
If the reports of buzzing and aerobatics are true (and there seem to be a lot of independent witnesses), this was senseless, needless, and completely avoidable.

Buzz job gone bad?

Whatta ya think? I am thinking buzz job followed by stall-spin accident. The way it came almost straight down on that house is one clue. Too bad the house next to it also burned because something may have come through the roof. Gives general aviation a big black eye. The one good thing is that all the pilots the media seems to interview have pointed out how blatantly illegal and stupid such activities are. So they don't seem to be playing the homebuilt thing up too much. Except they keep making a big deal about the "bigger" engine that Glasair "doesn't recommend". When I heard "aerobatics" though, I thought maybe the witnesses were describing it wrong. I sure got a lot of phone calls with "Is that the kind of plane your building?" "Did you know that guy?" etc, etc. My wife sure was glad she didn't turn the TV on that day because at the time Channel 3's helicopter launched I had just taken off with my friend Dave in his RV-6. Sure got me thinking about stall-spin accidents again. :mad:

Back