What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nice RV's at Rio Linda Airport today in Sacramento, CA

tdhanson

Well Known Member
I decided to drop in on a Fly In as posted by Mauser Aviation at Rio Linda airport in Sacramento CA.

I was told there were going to be several RV's and since I'm looking to build or buy I dropped by for a couple hours. It's a little airport stuck right between SMF and the old McClellan Air Base in Rio Linda CA, about 11 miles from me.

Nice little airshow with some flour drops, some RC airplanes including an RC Jet. Saw about 8 RV's including a nice RV4, some RV6 and 7's and some RV8's. Thanks to all who allowed an admiring guy drool at them closeup. Thanks to those who were friendly and answered my questions. I would suggest to the one or two few who seemed preoccupied or annoyed that this was a public event and you opened your hangars and showed your planes so you should expect questions and admiration. I know you just wanted to get the engine started and taxi out to fly so I understand. Just came across a little 'cold'.

It looks like just the place to find some friends and fellow fliers once I build or buy.

The large twin flyby was impressive. More like an airliner.

There needs to be more RV's as I counted at least 8-10 Sonnex (sp?).

I agree

I drove over there around 1pm and there was still a lot to see, if I didn't have a transponder problem in the cessna I would have flown (It is under the class C Sacramento airspace).

I was particularly interested in the RV-8's. For some reason the sonex airplanes also interest me (low price mostly) but I can't get buy their toyish looks and small cabin.

Branden

Rio Linda's fly-in originally WAS for the Sonex crowd

The small fly-in at Rio Linda has been a Sonex event hosted by Sonex builder Eric Scheppers every year for some time now. It just so happens that some other pilots were invited, including the SacRVators this year. Unfortunately, several of us RV builders were involved with helping to get an almost flying RV-8 weighed and new engine running at the time. Also, the EAA's B-17 was at the nextdoor McClellan airport. Some of us volunteer there. Did you see it fly by?

The RVators had our meeting at Calaveras two weeks ago. We had a huge turnout of RV's. A big THANKS to all the non-Sacramento guys who showed up, like the folks from Livermore.

Raden, the floor of the Class C airspace there is 1600 feet. You could buzz in below that. Just watch out for the Mather and Executive Class D airspace and the McClellan Class E traffic.

Back