What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vetterman's belly fairing

N941WR

Legacy Member
I need some advice from any aerodynamacyst.

This afternoon I trimmed the Styrofoam plug for the Vetterman's belly fairing, being careful to make sure it came out symmetrical. Then I found out the exit opening on the Sam James cowl is not centered. (Who would have ever thought that would be the case.) The tail of the fairing is offset to the right by a 1/2" as is the opening on the bottom of cowl.

So the question is, should I bring the tail of the fairing to the centerline or leave it off center?

Thoughts?

Keep it symmetrical, but off center

Hi Bill,

I think you can cause more problems by angling it or cambering it to bring the tail onto centerline than you will have if the whole assembly is just 1/2" off center.

Fairing

Bill, please get some good before and after performance figures for us!

Steve,

Thanks for the advice, this is kind of what I was thinking.

Bill, please get some good before and after performance figures for us!

Vern,

It is going to be a bit difficult to get the before and after as I'm making the fairing as I work on the rebuild. However, the cool part of this fairing is that I can remove it at any time for those tests, which I plan on doing.

The day after I hit that trailer I saw an RV-7 with this fairing and the guy told me it was good for the five MPH that Larry said it was. Still, I'll work with Bob A. to make sure the test results are accurate.

Back