What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airflow Performance fuel pump problem.

odens_14

Well Known Member
I'm having a problem with the airflow performance fuel pump that Van's sells. When I was doing all my wiring I turned it on for about 2 seconds and all appeared well, it sounded like it was running but I didn't want to run it very long without fuel in the sytem.. Now as I'm checking things for the first engine start I turn it on for another short test and nothing. I've checked all the electrical and everything is hooked up correctly. I'm obviously calling airflow on Monday, but does anyone have any other ideas that might be a simple fix?

Needs fuel in inlet

The airflow performance pump has a sensor that will not run the pump if the inlet has no fuel. They are shipped (as I recall) with some fuel in them and caps over the fittings.

This is to prevent the pump from burning out if trying to pull from a dry tank.
I personally do not consider this a "feature". :)

Mine made noise but didn't pump at first and I had to prime mine to get it to work. Got a clear tube the approprate size for the fittings on both ends of the pump, filled it with 100LL and pushed the tube onto the fittings. Turned on the pump and watched gas circulate through the tube, through the pump, through the tube etc. The Avgas took on a brown tinge, so I think it was also cleaning out some sort of gluck. It's worked ever since.

If yours is not making any noise though... Hmmmm...I've had to track stuff down with the voltmeter, starting at the breaker/fuse, only to find the breaker was off!:eek:

Jeremy
RV7A Phase 1

WHAT???

The airflow performance pump has a sensor that will not run the pump if the inlet has no fuel. They are shipped (as I recall) with some fuel in them and caps over the fittings.

This is to prevent the pump from burning out if trying to pull from a dry tank.
I personally do not consider this a "feature". :)

Where do people come up with this stuff. Believe me you can run the pump with no fuel in it until the motor burns up, or the pump element eats itself. There are no "sensors" on this pump motor, or pump package.

The pump packages are oil flushed after we test them on the boost pump test stand. You should remove the hose going to the fuel control and put it into a container. This will allow the pump to pick up fuel faster as it will allow the pump to free flow. Let it run about a gallon of fuel through before hooking up the system and putting pressure on it.

If the pump does not run when voltage is applied the pump is either locked up (should pop the breaker) or it got varnish on the commutator from running the pump dry (causes an open circuit). If this is the case you can send the pump back to us and we can try to fix the issue.

Don

Now that is service...You did not even have to wait till Monday and got the info straight from the Boss himself!!!

Straight from the guys at Vans

Where do people come up with this stuff. Believe me you can run the pump with no fuel in it until the motor burns up, or the pump element eats itself. There are no "sensors" on this pump motor, or pump package.
Don

When I called Vans to ask (in 2006 or so) why my brand new pump (purchased in 2002 but never opened) did not work, these are the words they spoke to me. So that "where they come up with this stuff". :)

I tried everything to "revive" that pump, short of disassembling it. Soaked it for days in a tub of fuel, sprayed cleaner in the inlets and let it sit overnight, etc.

So, now you know. Glad to hear there is no sensor. I probably just got a bad pump.

Call if you have issues with Airflow Performance parts

When I called Vans to ask (in 2006 or so) why my brand new pump (purchased in 2002 but never opened) did not work, these are the words they spoke to me. So that "where they come up with this stuff". :)

I tried everything to "revive" that pump, short of disassembling it. Soaked it for days in a tub of fuel, sprayed cleaner in the inlets and let it sit overnight, etc.

So, now you know. Glad to hear there is no sensor. I probably just got a bad pump.

As strange as this may sound EVERY pump we build is run on a test stand for probably 10 to 15 minutes each. Back in the early days, each pump was run but no records were kept (I don't like paper work). Since January 06 these are built in lots 30-50 at time there is a lot number stamped on the banjo manifold that corresponds to the build. On that record is the test for pump flow output, motor current draw, external leakage and relief valve opening pressure. If the pump does not pass these test points it is removed from the lot and repaired or the issue is resolved by replacing a component. After the pump has completed the test phase it is removed from the pump test stand and run on our oil flush bench to remove the test fluid (we started doing the oil flush around 02-03 time frame, don't really remember). We started doing this to prevent damage to the pump if it was run with no fuel initially when installed in the aircraft and to eliminate some problems we had with prolonged storage where the test fluid would dry in the pump motor then put a coating on the commutator which would render the pump inoperative, until flushed out with contact cleaner. Once gasoline was run through the pump it was fine. (We don't use gasoline as a test fluid:)).

Looking back through our customer reports I do not see any correspondence with you or that you had issue with the boost pump. I would have thought that if you had problems with this part you have called us directly as there is a manual with each pump we ship and our phone number on the manual front page.

As with any of our products, please call us directly if you have questions or operational issues. We stand 100% behind every part we make (although after 10 years the warrantee has run out:D).

Don

What do you use for "contact cleaner", is that something I can try. Is there anything else I can try myself, or is it just easiest to send it to you? I did double check today and I do have 12v at the pump.

Pump check

Just send the pump back to us with a note explaining what's going on. If we can not fix it we will have to replace the pump.

Don

Slightly off the subject......are the Airflow pumps okay to run auto gas with a small amount of alcohol in it?
Also what is the fuel pressure out of the pump?

Update: Figure out I have a problem with my fuel pump on a friday night and post here, have a response from the head hancho the next day (a saturday). ship it to them and today I recieved my pump back from airflow in working condition at no cost to me. This is what I love about the companies that support our hobby, A+ customer service!

As far as the cause of the failure it was appearently from running dry, which I believe happend because the preservative oil must have drained when it was sitting in the fueselage for over 6 monts bbefore I ran it for about 10 seconds, my advice to others would be to make sure you have fuel in the system before even testing the pump, even very briefly.

A special thanks to Don at Airflow for his help!

Chris, thanks for closing the loop with this.

I have to add my own kudos for Don, great customer service was my experience also.

Back