What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

phlogiston spars/hrII

danweseman

Hi Guys after finding that my spars,splice plates and 404 bulkhead didnt match... (not from same kits?)i cried for a week then luckily , found a wing kit with phlogiston spars at sun n fun. I bought it for almost nothing and now am all set with Phlogiston spars ,plates and 404 that match ! Has anyone done this that could offer advice as to how they handeld the rib spacing and spar web reinforments out near the tip. Id like to minimize extra holes in the webs etc Any advice would be great . Thanks Dan

I built mine using pre-drilled spars from an RV-4 wing kit. I asked John Harmon what to do about the rib spacing, and he said just use the holes closest to dimensions called out on the Rocket plans. A half inch one way or the other isn't going to make much difference.

In your pre-assembled phlogiston spar, you'll have CAREFULLY remove the #6 rivets at the rib stations you determine, as well as a few of the most inboard #6's to account for the wider fuselage. Of course, you'll have add #6's where the RV-4 ribs would have been.

I don't rightly remember what I did about the outboard web stiffening bars, but I can check.

Almost forgot: you'll also have to remove and replace the #6 rivets from the spar where the tank attach doubler extension will go.

How are you going to use the 404 that came with the phlogiston spar? The HRII center section is 4 inches wider than an RV-4 at that point.

For the 404 I spliced in the extra 2 inches per side like Vince Fraizer and several other did ? I have to drill out a bunch of -6 rivets as im doing the 55 gal tanks. Im just taking my time... im thinking of moving the out board vertical angle stiffiners and putting the ribs where they were ,then putting the angles in between the lighting holes ? Dan

Phlogiston or Standard Spars?

Sorry to reopen an old thread. I was looking at building a Harmon Rocket II. I talked to John and he suggested just going with the standard Vans Spar rather than the Phlogiston unit as he believes it is easier to do.

Obviously there are quite a few people who have used the Phlogiston unit anyway. Is there a good reason to go this way, and was the extra work worthwhile to have the Phlogiston spar? I assume the anodized spar is desirable from a corrosion standpoint and might benefit resale but other than that is it worthwhile to do?

Also, I was looking at the 55 Gal tanks as an option. How much work is it to install these and is it worthwhile? The kit is fairly costly as well ($685) so I assume there are quite a few parts that need changing.

Thanks
Richard

pre built spars HRII

I have not finished my spar mods yet(phlogiston),but It is not to bad.I think using the standard Vans kit and building it up yourself is the way to go. you can easily add the 55 gal fuel witout drilling out 80 rivets.The corrosion protection is nice but a good alodine /primer will be great also. Maybe Phlogiston would leave the rivets you need out,out... or build the spar to your spec? They were very helpfull when i needed info on a spar splice hole problem with my first wing kit. Im going with the 55 gal fuel but think they will usually be half full. They will be nice on the few X country flights i do? Keep us posted Dan

Back