What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying to Canada

GaryK

Well Known Member
Friend
I will be flying the Canadian Interprovincial Air Tour the end of May and have a question.

I'm based in Michigan, none of the trip will require crossing the ADIZ. I've seen conflicting information on the requirement for 12" numbers. Can someone set me straight on the regs.

I've flown to the Bahamas a couple of times so know the ropes with regards to crossing the border, customs et..

Thanks
Gary
N715AB

Canadian Aviation Regulation 202.01 says:

202.01 (1) Subject to subsection (2), no person shall operate an aircraft in Canada unless its marks are visible and are displayed

(a) in the case of a Canadian aircraft, in accordance with the requirements of the Aircraft Marking and Registration Standards; and

(b) in the case of an aircraft registered in a foreign state, in accordance with the laws of that foreign state.

You are OK as long as your registration marks meet US requirements.

I would ask the AOPA

What did you have on your plane when you flew to the Bahamas? A decade or two ago the US rules were changed to require 12" numbers when you crossed the border regardless of what the other country required. You also had to have a radio station license from the FCC (previously even domestic flights with radio equiped airplanes required a FCC radio station license). The requirements are always changing and the agents don't always care about some of the requirements so it is probably best to go to the AOPA if you want all of the current legal requirements. It is hard for me to recommend the AOPA for anything but in this case I think they are your best source since all requirements may not reside in the domain of any one US or other country's Government agency.

Bob Axsom

A decade or two ago the US rules were changed to require 12" numbers when you crossed the border regardless of what the other country required.

The rule is 14 CFR 45.29(h):
(h) After March 7, 1988, each operator of an aircraft penetrating an ADIZ or DEWIZ shall display on that aircraft temporary or permanent nationality and registration marks at least 12 inches high.
But "border" is not the same as "ADIZ". For example the border between the 48 contiguous states and Canada is not an ADIZ:
ADIZ.jpg

AOPA does have lots of good info on flying into Canada:http://www.aopa.org/members/files/travel/canada/toc.html

--Paul

Canada

Thanks everyone

No 12" temporary numbers for me :)

My trips to the Bahamas have been in a Commander 114 with 12" numbers. Yes I do have the radio station license, I've never had anyone ask for it but better safe than sorry.

Appreciate the input

Gary
N715AB

Back