What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bma Efis G4?

Wow. That's cool. I noticed that the added the synthetic vision to the G4/Lite. Synthetic vision for < $3k? AWESOME! Now if they could only improve their customer service and advertise the real turnkey prices of these units I think they would have a killer product on their hands.

BTW: I'm an officer for EAA 690 at LZU in Lawrenceville, GA. We're going to be having the folks from Blue Mountain give a presentation in the next couple of months. I'll post back here to this forum when the date is finalized.

The G4 lite is same as G3 lite except it has terrain on the moving map.

The G4 sport has all the features of the EFIS one (that is what the buttons are for) except you cycle the lower screen through moving map, engine cluster, HSI.

The engine cluster is an add on module for an additional $1300.

All of the G4 units have the 480 deg/sec roll capability and the ultrabrite displays. All are capable of com/nav interface and contain encoders.

Bma Efis G4

Looks great from the picture. I want to be in a business where I'm selling so much stuff and making so much money that I don't have to even update my web site. That would be great!

N395V said:
The engine cluster is an add on module for an additional $1300.

What's the 'engine cluster'? I'm assuming it adds engine instrumentation. Which units does this work with? Do you know if that price would include probes? Thanks!

What does this mean?

Jamie said:
...and advertise the real turnkey prices of these units I think they would have a killer product on their hands.

What does the above statement mean? What else do you have to buy on a "g4/lite" for example that doesn't come with it? Of the people that I know who have one, it came as advertised, and included everything it should.

Perhaps you are talking about the EFIS one?

I'm sure that actual BMA customer can elaborate here...but a friend of mine that purchased a G3/Lite ended up paying about 3K for it by the time he paid for the first year's 'update', which was necessary but wasn't included in the advertised price. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. This is second-hand info, for what it's worth. :rolleyes:

Bma Efis

the first year Jeppesen data update cost is posted on the Bluemountain website. When I called to order the units (EFIS Lite/plus and EFIS Sport) I was told that as well.
there is no hidden cost.

attson said:
the first year Jeppesen data update cost is posted on the Bluemountain website. When I called to order the units (EFIS Lite/plus and EFIS Sport) I was told that as well.
there is no hidden cost.

Not to pick nits...but I didn't say the cost was hidden. I said the cost was not advertised -- a very clear distinction. You proved my point exactly...you weren't told about the subscription until you called to place the order. I also don't mean to infer that BMA is being deceitful -- only that people are not too happy to find out something costs a few hundred more than the advertised price.

The image linked to by the original poster is apparantly some sort of advertisement or flyer and you'll note that there's no mention of the subscription there. Maybe just an asterisk or something on their advertisements would help.

I think people do not expect to pay for the first subscription installment since it's not the way it's done w/ avionics -- generally the database is current when the unit is sold as new (at least mine was).

I hold no ill-will toward BMA and will probaby be a customer of theirs as soon as they start taking orders for the G4 Lite/Sport (I just hope they ship in the promised time frame...but that's another story all together!).

I still don't get it...

Is this upgrade something you *have* to purchase? If not, then it's no different than a garmin gps, etc.... You get a database, if you elect to subscribe, you can get a newer one. If you don't want/need a newer one, then you don't need to update...

What am I missing? Does the unit not come with a database, and you *have* to buy one in addition? Or is it that it comes with a *really old* one and to get a refreshed one you have to buy it? This later point is a stick one I suppose depending on how old the DB is that comes in the unit.

Ah, ha... I just figured it out!

EFIS/Lite Gen3, 3.8" display with EHSI, Moving Map, Magnetometer and integrated keypad. Annual Support for the first year is mandatory with the purchase of this
product.

The above comes from the BMA website (online shop). So, you *have* to buy the first year of update and they don't include that in the price....

So, the plot thickens....perhaps a little pressure from a group like this could cause them to a) include it in the price, or b) raise the price and include it for free :)...

Either way, stupid marketing by my book... And very close to "bait and switch"...

The pix looks like a scan of the ad in the latest Sport Aviation. I can't find any info on the G4 series on their website.

And if they mentioned the "extra" subscription cost in the ad it would be better...

Deene.

I just purchased the G4 Sport and G4 Lite along with the BMA autopilot for my next plane. They are quoting G4 Lite delivery in April and Sport in May.
My suspicion is it will be more likely June and July depending where you are on the list.

While placing my order I had a lengthy discussion with a BMA technogeek about some of the above comments.

1. The engine cluster (pod) is a separate box that allows you to view all of your engine instruments on one of the rotatable sport screens or on the EFIS one. It is designed as a separate module in response to the criticisms that GR and Dynon are out of the box plug and play items whereas BMA is a pain in the ass to hook up and calibrate. If all you want is a flight instrument/nav/moving map/autopilot interface package the G4 series are out of the box plug and play.

If you wish to display engine instruments buy the engine cluster and you can then choose from most available sensors, senders, cables, etc. This will require a lot of jumper positioning, calibration, and phone chats with a factory rep. Some of us enjoy this, some do not.

2. The website hasn't been updated because they are waiting on artwork and their webmaster. The scan above was from "March Kitplanes" and March was their planned launch date. Unfortunately (or fortunately) the magazine comes out in Feb.

3. It would be nice to have them include the statement in the advertisment that the up front cost of the database is extra and MUST be purchased but it is clearly stated as the case on the website and when I placed my order they took special care before I ordered to inform me that the data base was a required extra even though they knew as an existing customer I already knew this.

On this subject I would add a personal comment that I purchase 2 updates over a year ago for my E1 and original lite. I got lazy and never bothered with the last 9 updates. I knew my subscription had expired so on the internet I ordered 2 new subscriptions. 2 days later I got a phonecall from Shelia at BMA. Since I had not used 9 updates they only charged 1/3 of the update prices and gave me a 12 month renewal. THEY DID NOT ADVERTISE THIS POLICY EITHER.

Blue Mountain is not for those looking for out of the box function that they get from a Garmin etc. BMA products are works in progress, the product, the owner of BMA and the employees are techno geeks who enjoy what they are doing. One of the reasons their prices are reasonable is they do not spend a lot of time or money on sales and marketink. If they had a marketing guy I am sure their ads, website etc would be clearer, more professional, and up to date. The units would also cost more.

BMA offers a lot of function at a lite weight and low cost. They are fun to tweek and work on, every update contains new features (at no added cost)(also not advertised)and they are infinitely expandable.

My first generation products have been reliable and done everything I have asked of them. There are some features I wish they had and some I do not like but that is the way with everything. If you want to know everything bad about them, all of the things they will not do and all of the things the current owners of the product want fixed, changed, or added, go to the BMA website Blue Bountain Avionics and navigate to their Bulletin Board . This is aplace where owners and prospective owners bitch moan and get their questions answered and sometimes their ideas for new features implemented.

It would be nice if all other manufacturers offered this feature, but most do not.

In any event I am an unabashed Blue Mountain Junkie. I can't wait to get my G4s up and running. :D Buying BMA is like owning a Corvette or an RV. You get a great piece of equipment and it comes with a social club and a lot of new friends.

Those who still have G3s on order are being given the option to upgrade to G4s and will recieve priority in the delivery schedule.

All of the G4 series will have a panel exposed USB port for updates and calibration. No more crawing under the panel to find a port. This was in response to numerous comments to their bulletin board.

There are currently 40 G4s (I am #40) on order including the G3 upgrades and 2 G4 sports are on order (mine is #2). The autopilots have not changed and are in stock fo immediate delivery.

Last edited:
Couple of nits

N395V said:
They are fun to tweek and work on, every update contains new features (at no added cost)(also not advertised)and they are infinitely expandable.

Milt, just have to pick on your choice of words a little.... Might be upgradeable and expandable within a given generation, just don't try to cross generations. For example, as I hear, it the G3's can *not* be upgraded for synthetic vision (Lite's that is) - a major feature of the G4's. To get Synthetic vision, the G3's Lites have no upgrade path except to buy a new unit.

Also, if the DB is *required*, the unit is 2795 + 195 for the DB update, why not just sell it for 2990 and include the first year for free, much better "truth to the customer" and very little marketing or change they have to make. (BTW I do understand that they have a fixed cost per box that they pay to Jeppesen)

I like you tho, do think they are a slick setup... I just wish they didn't have the problems with "fast erect" and the "leans".... But then again, I'm hoping they work all those bugs out and I designed my panel for spacing so I could replace an electric AI with one at a future date.

BM Bait or Switch?

I was not informed that I would have to buy the database. I probably did not research the product as much as I should have. I have the G3 Sport and the database is 400 dollars. However, I can see and am glad they do not include the price for the first year because in my case, I ordered the system to get it into my panel and my first year would have been a waste as I am not flying yet. They do have a sample data base to play with at no cost so when you are ready to fly, you call up and get the database.

I am working through some technical issues to get the system up to spec.

RV 7A
BM Sport and Dynon D100

Back