What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV3 pre-buy inspection advice

WildBill

I'm looking for some pre-buy inspection advice for -3's. I'm an A&P but not having looked at many -3's I feel somewhat unprepared.

The -3 in question was started in 86 and has the wing tanks. According to the builder the wing mods have been done. The airframe is built but the wings are not drilled to the fuse. I have the wing mod docs for reference, from Randy's site. I am hoping for some experienced -3 owner's / builders to give me the gouge on what areas I should concentrate on, ie, is there a particularly difficult to construct area that is prone to construction errors? Common construction errors? etc...

Bill:

Where are you and the aircraft located? Someone in the area may be able to go with you to look at it.

Gary A. Sobek
RV-6, N157GS
EAA TC
FAA A&P
DAR Function code 46

Getting an experienced builder to look at it to assess the workmanship is the smartest thing you can do. In addition to Gary's question about where you and the aircraft are, how much is he asking? And be sure ALL of the wing mods have been done. If you look at it first by your self be sure and take LOTS of pics including closeups of everything.

RV3 prebuy

I assume you mean the rear spar is not drilled to the fuselasge. IF the wing main spars are not drilled to the fuselage you've got yourself a real project.
Vans delivered some ger legs that weren't bent to spec around then. I had to have mine annealed, rebent then hardened to fix a severe camber problem. Sorry I just looked for my gear leg plans but I can't find them, perhaps they're at the hanger. If you have any specific question feel free to contact me, I don't pretend to be an expert but I've built two RV3s with good success.
Good luck
Tom
RV3 2000+ hours

rv3 questions

Here's some info the owner sent me.

The finish kit has brakes, tires, and extra uncut canopy.
Most of the metal parts have been made and all mods have been done.
Biggest project left is the fiberglass work.
The wings were fitted but not drilled.
All the hardware that came with the kit goes.
It has an extra instrument panel.
Throttle quadrant.
Rudder peddles.
Hydraulics.
Engine is an 0320-E2D with new mags and oil cooler.
-about 400 hours on chrome cyclinders.
A New Wood warnike prop.
comes with a pictorial log.
----------------------------------------
After talking with the owner again, I think what he meant to convey was that the rear attach had not being drilled.

Its in the Omaha area, and he wants 15k.

rv3 questions...cont..

oops forgot to answer that,

I'm in eastern PA, and have free airfare out Omaha way tomorrow.

Another consideration

Another thing to consider is an RV-3 already flying. I'm getting mine ready to sell. Completed in '97, also a Lycoming O320E2D, new Catto 3-blade, retrofitted with RV-3B quickbuild wings, strobes and landing lights, com & mode-C transponder, bare aluminum, tip-over canopy, completing an extensive annual with my A&P hangermate (RV-8 builder) with all new engine control rigging, thorough inspection. Cosmetics not great but well-built (not by me, but gone through by Van's staffer and Wally Anderson who assisted on the wing retrofit).

The price will be set so that you'd be way ahead of the game compared to $15,000 for a '3 not yet flying.

Give me a call at 415-250-2578.

Ron Rosenberg

Back