What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Duplicolor self etching primer... no more??

danielhv

Well Known Member
Went to walmart today to reload, and its not on the shelves anymore! The guy who worked there told me they replaced it with Rustoleum self etching primer... so I left and went to Autozone, SAME EXACT STORY!!! Anyone else heard or seen anything similar? Anyone have any experience with the Rustoleum Self Etch?

Advanced Auto is still carrying it - or at least they were a month ago. I also went to Walmart, Autozone, Target, Home Depot, etc - no Duplicolor. But Advanced seemed to be sticking with the brand. I am very satisfid with the Duplicolor self-etching - I may have to stock up just in case.....

Paul

Same thing for me. I just switched to the Rustoleum brand and actually like using it better than the Dupli-Color brand. It sprays a lot easier and covers quickly. It seems to take a little longer to fully cure though. It flashes off real quick and can be handled in a few minutes, but it does take a few days to get durable.

Well I bought a can and gave it a try. I dont like it... sprays on WAAAAAAY too heavy. You have to hold the can 2 - 3 feet away to get a thin dusting... but it wastes so much primer cause it sprays out so heavy. And as mentioned above, it takes a long time to cure to a durable state. Almost feels like a rubber texture after it dries. Im going to see if Advance Auto has the duplicolor... if not looks like I'll be switching over to the Napa 7220 :rolleyes:

Just bought more dupicolor self etching primer at Advanced Auto...BUY ONE GET ONE FREE. I bought all the stock they had. Can't beat that.

PPG Alternative ($$)

I've been using a PPG rattle can product from their Specialty Performance Products line called Etch Prime-Gray, SXA1031. Got it from a local auto refinishing supplier. Has a nice spray pattern and holds up pretty good. More expensive than Duplicolor, but I like the spray control better, and appears to use less material per pass, and my perception is it dries quicker.

Their web site:
https://buyat.ppg.com/refinishProdu...roductID=63817403-97a9-4ec8-98aa-d5ac0fb87258

Just bought more dupicolor self etching primer at Advanced Auto...BUY ONE GET ONE FREE. I bought all the stock they had. Can't beat that.

Trying to corner the market? :p

If supplies get too low I have several cans, PM me.

Last edited:

Just went to mine... they wouldnt do the buy one get one free... the ad states which primers it applies to, and self etching wasn't one of them. :(

Oh well, I bought the 4 cans they had.

I've been using a PPG rattle can product from their Specialty Performance Products line called Etch Prime-Gray, SXA1031. Got it from a local auto refinishing supplier. Has a nice spray pattern and holds up pretty good. More expensive than Duplicolor, but I like the spray control better, and appears to use less material per pass, and my perception is it dries quicker.

Their web site:
https://buyat.ppg.com/refinishProdu...roductID=63817403-97a9-4ec8-98aa-d5ac0fb87258

John--

Agree, I've built my entire project using only the Specialty Per 1031...very happy with the process and results.

Joe

I switched from the Duplicolor to the PPG. It is really nice.

I don't have any complaints about the duplicolor, but the PPG lays down and covers really nicely.

Does the rustolem or krylon primer say self etch on the can? I cant find a rattle can primmer anywhere that says it is self etching.

Does the rustolem or krylon primer say self etch on the can? I cant find a rattle can primmer anywhere that says it is self etching.

yup. Its this can here:

AU_SelfEtchingPrimer_12oz_Gray_L.jpg

Its at walmart and autozone now.

Online...

I ordered mine by the 6 count case here:

With shipping it was a little more, but the local shops only ever had 2 cans at a time.

Self-Etching...

yup. Its this can here:

AU_SelfEtchingPrimer_12oz_Gray_L.jpg

Its at walmart and autozone now.

...I'm not a chemist, but not much in the MSDS ingredient list seems to be etching. Lots of different solvents - for cleaning, I presume.

Perhaps a chemist can help us out?

http://www.rustoleum.com/cbg_techdocs_msds_display.asp?MSDS=111192

If the link doesn't work, select it from Consumer Products here -

http://www.rustoleum.com/cbgresourcecenter.asp?sn=msd

By comparison, the SEM Self-Etching primer lists Phosphoric Acid in it's MSDS (tris(methylphenyl) phosphate)

http://semproducts.com/images/msds_files/US/39683 Self Etching Primer Gray US.pdf

Last edited:
Kragen

Just purchased a few cans from Kragen Auto Parts here in Southern Taxyafornia. Special order that took two weeks. Cost about $5.00 out the door. Hope that this helps.

Advance Auto Parts ...

...has been my supplier for the Duplicolor self-etching green primer. Stopped by there tonite to see what's up. All the Duplicolor primers except the self-etching green are "Buy one - get one free" thru sometime late this month. The mgr said they'll likely clear out all the primers on special and replace with another paint product. In his opinion, since the self-etch green isn't on sale, they will likely continue to stock and sell it.

Yes..I believe the store I had went to had the self etching primer in the wrong section...they did honor the buy 1 get 1 free sale though. Guess I got lucky.

way to heavy

I dont like it... sprays on WAAAAAAY too heavy.

I had the same experience. My local Walmart stopped selling the Dupli-Color primer, so I tried the Rustoleum. Very hard to apply a thin coat and you end up wasting most of the primer. Auto Zone doesn't have as good a price as Walmart use to have on the Dupli-Color, but at least they still carry it.

Back