What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sherwin Williams V 6V943, Primer for exterior of plane

The Wizzard

Well Known Member
I have friend in the automotive paint business and he has strongly suggested using 2 part epoxy primer such as Sherwin Williams V 6V943. I have been painting the inside surfaces of the empanage with it and the only drawback that I can see is the dry time. What do you guys think about using it on the outside of the airplane as well? Any thoughts about putting an automotive finish on the exterior of the airplane using this as my primer?

My RV paint is a high end Sherwin Williams (Genesis)auto paint. Used on vehicles such as Fed EX. The requirements for a primer are listed on spec sheets, to be compatible with the paint. The primer I used is also a two part epoxy, but is sprayed on the aircraft just about 15 minutes before the first paint coat. With many paints, there are time limits depending on temps. Otherwise, it has to be scuffed & re-primed. You can look up the spec sheets on the internet, that have the full instructions.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Back