What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gotta order tires in the morning....

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Per my other thread...I am going to call Desser in the morning and get some tires and tubes headed my way. I see that they have two different brands of "Leak-stop" tubes - Michelins, and something a few bucks cheaper...has anyone tried both and have any recomendations?

I have always had good luck with Desser - failing any other inputs, I'll see what they recomend.

Paul

IMHO I would pay the extra and stick with the big names when it comes to critical parts.
Only the best for our RVs right?

Leak stop tubes

Don't know what the off-brands are, but the Michelon airstop tubes are only a few bucks more than the el-cheapos and are worth every penny. I loose about 1 psi per month, if that.

Tires

Paul,

Where are you purchasing your tires and tubes. I am doing my anual soon and I am planing on changing the tires and tubes.

Pete DeCraene
N526PD

tires & tubes

Paul,

Go with the Michelin's, they're worth every penny (or dollar) more!
I use Condor main tires with Michelin Air Stop tubes and am much more satisfied than with the Air Hawk's I had before.

Ordering from Desser

I've been buying my aircraft tires from Desser for 20 years - always good prices, good quality, and fast service.

I'm probably going to go with the Michelins - it's not about saving a few pennies folks, it's an engineer's curiosity about things like this. You realize, of course, that there are only a very small number of actual tire manufacturers, right? Different brands come out of the same factory...I am just curious if the "other brand" of leak stop tubes from Desser come off the same machine as the ones that say Michelin on the box...

Paul

I'm probably going to go with the Michelins - it's not about saving a few pennies folks, it's an engineer's curiosity about things like this. You realize, of course, that there are only a very small number of actual tire manufacturers, right? Different brands come out of the same factory...I am just curious if the "other brand" of leak stop tubes from Desser come off the same machine as the ones that say Michelin on the box...

Paul, I have wondered the same thing (but I'm not an engineer......well....maybe the shade tree type..... :D ). I have been using the Michelin tubes for several years and they certainly work as adverstised. My hangar-mate installed the other tube offered by Desser a while back and he seems to be getting similar service to what I see with the Michelins. I suspect you will see about the same results regardless of which tube you select.

Sam Buchanan (RV-6, 712 hrs)

Tire Mfg

Paul,

You're absolutely right about the tire manufacturing.
You might be surprised to find out who makes those Condor tires - check it out!

Back