What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flywheel magnet installation for LSE

corbinace

For those who have installed the LSE, did you install the magnets yourself and would you do it again?

I am somewhat concerned about getting the magnets located on the exact degree location, with the exact 20 degrees between them.

Am I wasting energy worrying about a nonevent as usual, or is there a legitimate concern here.

On one hand, being fairly skilled and very cheap, I hesitate to spend probably $125 shipping this wheel around. But on the other hand, I do not want to compromise the effectiveness of my $2300 ignition by being a degree off.

Trying to avoid stepping over a dollar to pick up a penny.

Thanks, Tim.

Shipping is cheap

Send it off - it will be back in two weeks, magnet installed correctly, and you'll just have to pass up a $100 hamburger. Not worth the worry about correct location, properly secured magnet, or other issues. I think that LSE automatically installs both magnets, even if you only have a single system, just in case you decide to add a second electronic ignition in the future.

I recently sent my ring gear back to Superior and shipping wasn't that much. By the way, when I was at the build school I got to watch as the magnets were installed. Superior had a jig that clamped to the gear assembly and the four holes were drilled in less than a minute. I'm guessing Klaus has a similar setup. I don't think I could do as well so I'd agree with the others who said it's worth sending in.

Off it goes then.

Thanks for the insight guys. I was kind of leaning towards having it done but my tightwad nature was tugging at my shirt sleeve saying, "Ah,come on you can do it".

Nice to be able to tap into the electronic "voice of reason".

magnet location...critical???

Okay guys, I'm planning an Electroair crank trigger install, which is a crankshaft clamp....so you could move it if absolutely necessary........ but how critical is this? Let's say you're off 2 degrees. I thought you could easily just set the advance to max out at 33 instead of 35 degrees, if you get my drift.
it should be zero for starting, granted.
I may start on the mag only to avoid possible kickback.

Magnets installed by Klaus

Ok, I have the flywheel back now after having Klaus install the magnets. All in all a very painless process with everything marked and mounted accurately.

One important (at least to me) sidenote is the new magnet installation that is not identified on the LSE website.

They now use a larger single magnet vs the smaller pair. This larger magnet supplies enough of a field to increase the clearance from max. .060" to max. of .110" So now you have a .080" window instead of a .030 peephole for the sensor setting.

The tiny dimension had me a little concerned and now I am much more comfortable.

Moving forward now.

How many $100 hamburgers did Klaus charge? - just for the record;)

I hate to even say, as it will illuminate my level of tightwadness:eek:.

It shipped out in a flat rate box for I think 14.50 and was returned with my dual ignition for 35.00. LSE charged $50 to do the deed. So all tolled it was less than one (burger). And as you said, well worth it.

I live in WA and it left here Priority mail on Monday and was back home by the very next Monday. Cannot ask for more than that.

I have my cases drilled and the sensor mounted temporarily now and excited about geting it up and running.

Back