What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paint design

Adam

Well Known Member
:) Hi All,

Would someone know if there is any software out there for paint design for RV aircraft.

Thanks,
Adam
Finish RV-8

Models and paper

Not against software, but I think the best method, at least for me, is 3-view paper sheets and some colored pens or pencil's. Of course the build manual has the views you can copy to color on.

You can down load the files of the 3-views off of Van's site and use a shareware/freeware to view or print them out. You can save as bitmap and use Microsoft paint (standard utility on windows) to color it. I think Vans specs on his web site had the 3-views as gif or jpg art you can copy and save to your computer. That can be used in MS paint to color.

Also as suggested by articles published in the EAA sport aviation Mag, make approx scale models and paint them with model paint. It does not have to be perfect, but an approx facsimile with proportion. Made of balsa you can repaint it and do it over. After you got something leave around where you can see it, for a long period of time. See if it grows on you or grows old. The nice thing it is 3D and cheap. I don't know if there are cheap models of RVs to be had. I know there are RC models but they cost too many bucks.

A computer is great but the true colors and patterns will be distorted. I guess if you have a true 3-D wire frame model and a program, like a CAD program, than yea I can see that, but that is overkill. In the end you have to transfer the pattern to the plane with trim tape, regardless of how you came up with you scheme. If you want to use software here is one or two:

Here are some pre design libraries you can buy into: (don't know if its worth $40)
http://www.aircraftpaintschemes.com/
http://www.aircraftcolor.com/index.asp

Here is a $500 software package! Ouch Doha! (that's insane money for your purposes)
http://www.onemileup.com/software/exteriorplanner/

As with any area in the build process, where the builder has some personal expression, like panels and paint, I suggest you resist the urge to be way differnt. Look at a lot of planes and ask questions, and don't be afraid or ashamed to steal ideas gratuitously. Also there are some patterns that just look right on RV's and work better than others. The question what kind of paint, (single stage or base-clear), brand, who is going to paint, paint before first flight and the list is long. Good luck and enjoy the journey. George RV-4/7

Last edited:
I am busy with the paper thing as mentioned by George and have probably done 200 designs so far. Some are only slight variations of others.
The problem is that I cannot find a paint scheme which really looks nice to me. For the RV7 that is. If I had a 8 it would be a done deal with a airforce BIG BEAUTIFULL DOLL type scheme.
Am I the only one who has this issue.
If I were ask the most difficult part of the build, I would have to say choosing the paint scheme!!!

What I think...

After looking at RV's at my home field, airshows and web I think the basic white base coat with two color stripe in the classic RV wedge is one of the sharpest, at least for the side-by-side:
RV-7 example http://www.vansairforce.net/rvoftheweek/2002/83.jpg
RV-8 example: http://www.vansairforce.net/rvoftheweek/2002/75.jpg

This design usually has the two stripe colors, top filling the vertical stab and the bottom filling the rudder. I prefer brighter stripe colors than the above, but you get the idea. I think Van invented this based on a modified Bonanza design. Van actually owned a Bonanza at one time. In fact all these paint schemes have been ripped off in one what or another.

The next is the to bright solid color on the top or bottom of the whole plane over a white base:
http://www.vansairforce.net/rvoftheweek/2005/37a1.jpg
http://www.vansaircraft.com/images/rv-7_I.jpg

Again the accent colors are not my choice or favorite; The RV-7 strip/logo Van's put on the prototype RV-7 is overused, but it does look nice. Again nothing wrong with coping a good idea, gratuitously. I know I am not ashamed to steal a good idea. At least you know what you are going to get. Also putting the dark accent color on the bottom, leaving the lighter base white on top also looks nice, but did not have a handy example.

Wing trim. You know it really does not show up that much. The classic RV strip along the leading edge span wise shows up: http://www.vansairforce.net/rvoftheweek/2002/80.jpg

It looks great but make sure there is no lip where the trim color starts/stops. I think it could trip the airflow if too close to the leading edge. The other wing treatments is painting the tip and invasion strips about mid span going chord wise. The other wing trim I like is the acro starburst (like a Pitts, C-Eagle or Citabria). I had that on my RV-4, was a pain to layout and paint and really it did not show up in pictures. I guess if your are in a 90 degree bank or inverted it shows up. On my next RV I think I am going to leave the wings with just the base color and no stripes, simple and clean.

Believe me I know how hard it is to resist the crowd and wanting to make your own mark, but to be honest it has all been tried and still think the basic scheems (mostly pioneered but the factory) and their variations are the best overall. I have yet to paint my unfinished RV-7.

I am tempted to go with a bright base coat color scheme like all RED, with no stripes! I also like checkerboards and YES flames. This one is awesome, but the cost was high I am sure: http://www.vansairforce.net/rvoftheweek/2005/35.jpg

I have seen some awesome paint jobs with graphics and wild patterns, they look great, don't get me wrong, but the RV just looks right with the above simple patterns and one or two trim colors.

The white base with simple stripes going into solid colored (vertical) tail feathers is always a winner, to me at least. That is my story and I am sticking to it. Now whether I go with it remains to be seen. The song, I got to be me, comes to mind. You got to be you. However simple is usually best, and please no purple RV's; there is already one and that's enough. :D George

Last edited:
Nice RV8

Here's a beauty of an RV8:

27d.jpg

I havent even bucked my first rivet, but I know exactly how I want the plane to look - I'm basing my future paint (and polish) design on this plane I fell in love with at OSH (with a few mods to the tail to incorporate my flying fish logo I've been working on):

47117200.jpg

I also really liked this paint design - (being of German ancestry) The owner said that the black did not really pose a heat problem, but I wouldnt want to touch it on one of our So. Cal. santa ana days:

47116127.jpg

schemes

When trying to decide on a scheme we also tried about everthing we could think of. We had our friends and family members who would agree to color the three view drawings from Van's. One friend at work even went to an art store and bought paints and vinyl numbers in scale to work up his vision of what it should look like. That painting is still hanging in the garage with his autograph on the bottom right corner, but we just couldn't go with a white airplane with hot pink on the top with black trim. Believe me, the RV is stunning with these colors, but I just didn't think it would be well accepted in the RV community.

Finally I had some rough ideas and about 100 pictures that I had printed off of the net of various airplanes and took them all to the painter. First I laid the ones out that my wife and I absulutely hated so he could get an idea of what we didn't like. I don't know about the rest of you, but not being an artist or having little or no imagination I couldn't figure out what it was about these paintjobs that made us repel. These were of all types of airplanes, Pipers, Beech's, Mooney's, Van's, etc. Then I laid out a bunch that Sherri and I both liked and gave Grady at GLO a good idea of what pleased us. He was able to instantly see what our tastes were and was able to articulate what I hadn't been able to put into words. Lastly, I put out a group of about 6 finalists in the order that I liked them. He took the bottom five and scraped them off of the table and said "Let's do number one." So when I left GLO Grady had a good example to go with, and the freedom to make any changes that he saw fit. Once it was apparent that he understood what we liked I just simply trusted his experience and sense of taste. The airplane was close to what we agreed upon in many ways, but much better in many others. At one point he called and told me that he had shot a sample and one of the colors we had picked wasn't right in his opinion. I told him to do whatever he thought was right and he did fantastic. I guess what I'm trying to say is that Grady was able to steer us gently, help us decide, and best of all he was able to deliver the goods. In my humble opinion consider giving your painter some freedom to compensate for your amateur schemes. These guys do this every day, so let them help.

Blue Skies,

Oh great..

Thanks for posting those fancy paint jobs and making my suggestion of keeping it simple look well...........simple. I love the fancy stuff too. I forgot to mention the Mock Military or part polished painted, checkerboard, Invasion stripes ala P-51 are all cool. Now ask what those paint jobs cost. That is the down side. However a fancy paint job done will is always awesome. However I guess my original point is too much can often not look well good in my eyes, above examples not withstanding.

The painter is not always right, but the above example is a case where a good painter, really an artist, can steer you clear of common booboo's and really take an idea and make it better, turning it into a work of art. I guess keeping it simple protects oneself from making bad taste decisions in the paint scheme. However if you are adventurous and have an artist go for it. I am reminded of some work of interior designers (homes) I have seen, which was beautiful, and others produce odd stuff, like a bright red, black and yellow kitchen, which comes to mind. Just make sure your vision is what the painter sees. Miss communication can result in a $6K-$10 mistake. On the other hand you have to trust them and give them some freerein. Don't be inflexable, but on the other hand it is your plane.

George

Last edited:
Project Dogwaffle

I used this inexpensive paint program to make a about fifty design iterations, and then picked one I liked. You can import photos, or bitmap templates, and then work right on top of them adding colors and designs.

I then laid out fineline tape for stripes, and went back to my printed out PD RV design for reference. I also used an aviation graphics company for my N-numbers as well as some other logo type stuff. If you're a do-it-your-self-er, then designing the striping scheme is the funnist part of the whole painting project.

I would say that a graphic arts company maybe helpful for turning a very complex and curvey, computer design, into a full size template. I know someone who did that. Curves are tricky to get right.

good luck

Vinyl vs. paint

I am in the midst of all this; designing, painting, worrying if it will look "right." I have the wings and tail painted and am about to send the fuse. I decided to go vinyl for trim colors and, at least for me, it seems to be a good way to go. If you don't like it, you can take it off and try again. It isn't easy, but a hair dryer will loosen it and you can pull it off.

The material for two colors of trim cost less than one quart or paint (okay, the computerized cutter cost a BIT more!) and there isn't all that mess. I cut my designs in minature and tried them on a drawing, which is an easy way to visulize everything.

A simple design could be hand cut, although I wouldn't want to go that way. If you use the proper material (cast vinyl only) you can even cover your emp tips. I did my entire rudder in vinyl. There is even a "rivet brush" for laying vinyl down over rivets. I plan on doing a few planes for others to pay for my cutter, or putting it on ebay. Hey, I already saved two bucks not having to buy that "EXPERIMENTAL" decal for the cabin!

Bob Kelly, 9A, "Metal Exercise"

videobobk said:
............I decided to go vinyl for trim colors..........If you use the proper material (cast vinyl only) you can even cover your emp tips. I did my entire rudder in vinyl. There is even a "rivet brush" for laying vinyl down over rivets......Bob Kelly, 9A, "Metal Exercise"
Bob,
Your process sounds intriguing. Can you provide any detail photographs of empennage tips shrouded in "cast vinyl?" What is the proper technique for applying the vinyl to such curves? Is cast vinyl available in a highly polished aluminum look? Can you possibly provide a link that might aid the uninformed (such as me) with more data like color samples, pricing, etc? Please explain the "rivet brush" thing.

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"

Project It.

We all seem to have similar problems with a paint scheme. I too struggled with how to execute it.
Fortunately for me, my son Martin, who is a graphics/video professional, has produced a beautiful design with Photoshop using B?zier Curves.
http://www.moshplant.com/direct-or/bezier/

The Rv-7 is at the paint shop and has the base colour applied.
Now to apply the art work/stripes!

I considered using Vinyl but it will not work on Compound Curved Surfaces like the Cowls.

Martin came up with a brilliant solution. Connect his MAC computer to a projector and project the design onto the aircraft and then mask to the projected colours. We tried a dumming run one night. It worked a treat.
And it was very simple to twig the image, (in the MAC) to fit exactly on a few key points on the airframe. You can see the crosses in the attached pic.

If anyone wants more info. email me. [email protected]

Pete.

Rick6a said:
Your process sounds intriguing. Can you provide any detail photographs of empennage tips shrouded in "cast vinyl?"

My plane is here and there, some at the airport, some still in the livingroom. The only part around here is the bottom of the rudder, and all it would show is a blue rudder bottom. Looks like it is painted, except there is a seam at the back and front. I sprayed it lightly with "application fluid," something that prevents it from sticking completely until you work the bubbles out. It isn't perfect, but probably better than my painting technique. It took a little heat from a hair dryer to stretch. After you have it in place, you squeege it with a teflon squeege and give it a few hours. Just remembered, the VS is in the spare bedroom, will put up a pic of that tomorrow!

What is the proper technique for applying the vinyl to such curves? Is cast vinyl available in a highly polished aluminum look?
]
The vinyl comes in various qualities, some with longer life than others, some that will work on curves, etc. I know you can get polished gold look, but I don't have a sample that shows polished aluminum. It is probably out there. Chrome Mirror only has a two year outside life, so I don't think it would be a good idea. There are really nice standard metalics, though.

Can you possibly provide a link that might aid the uninformed (such as me) with more data like color samples, pricing, etc? Please explain the "rivet brush" thing.

I bought from signwarehouse.com A good color material in 15" X 10 yards is about $25. The best material, rated to stretch over rivets and curved surfaces is $35. Some of the color change stuff is expensive, but nothing like the cost of paint. The rivet brush is a round brush a little stiffer than a toothbrush with bristles that won't scratch.

Bob Kelly

vinyl & compound curves

Cast vinyl will do compound curves. I've done many RV's including covering an entire cowl in two shades of metalic vinyl. Cast vinyl is used for vehicle graphics for the specific need to conform to curves, indentations seams, etc.

Eric
freedom Sign

I used the paper approach

As suggested very early in this thread, three view drawings and colored pencils, etc. work very well to allow you to carefully develop a color scheme that is unique and that you like. The color scheme should not be something that you dread to develop. It should be one of the rewards you get for building the airplane to showcase it as the one of a kind airplane that it is. If you didn't want that, you would not care about the color scheme. If you work with paper it allows you to think about the design instead of the software requirements and limitations. It is a several thousand dollar process so some time and thought investment is well spent. After I had the basic design I bought an Auto Sketch software package and worked through the bruttal process of getting it into that system. That was unnecessary and it wasted a lot of time.

I spent about seven years developing mine incrementally as I built the plane because the plane took 8 years to build and there was no urgency in getting the color scheme finalized. I got my wife into it coloring in designs with various colors as the design started coming together so it was a family project - in some situations at least that is important. I would never copy anyone else's design - it would always be a copy. I would never settle for any original design that I wasn't totally happy with - just keep working with it until it is right for you.

Once you have decided the design and color(s) you want and you airplane is structurally complete, you should make full size paper patterns and take them to the hangar and tape them to your plane and make sure you like what you see. If you don't like what you see, you are probably pretty close to what you want and you can modify it to get it right while you are there with the airplane. The differences in scale can destroy what you thought looked good on an 8.5x11 piece of paper if you are not copying a proven design. My stab & elevator had to be modified once this way and the fuselage was completely redone full size several times. When you have everything like you want it those full size patterns should be given to the painter as part of the contract so there is no need for him to guess what you had in mind and you have no disappointing surprises when you pick the plane up. Don't leave anything to chance, not even the wheel fairings. Photograph the patterns taped in place and measure the full size pattern locating dimensions. If you insist on the design including features on the bottom surfaces, the details are precisely defined, with a lot of careful masking required and there are three or more colors, you will have to pay extra - I paid around $1,000 for this. It is worth the cost if you can afford it. When I was ready for paint I prepaired a 30 page power point package defining the paint job I wanted (including the specific imron paint and color chip numbers) with photos, drawings and text and I did get the paint job I wanted.

I probably haven't helped you at all but I feel that the color scheme is so important that I had to say something to lighten the load and characterize the task as a creative and rewarding activity.

Bob Axsom

Colour Scheme Projection

Last night we projected the colour scheme for my RV-7, from my MAC computer onto my RV-7.

It took 2 hrs to mask the entire aircraft........ plus two beers each.

The picture in which looks like the aircraft is painted, is actually the colour scheme projected onto the fuselage, which is already painted all over cream.

The second shows the masked lines.
Pete.

Projecting paint scheme

fodrv7 said:
Last night we projected the colour scheme for my RV-7, from my MAC computer onto my RV-7.

It took 2 hrs to mask the entire aircraft........ plus two beers each.

The picture in which looks like the aircraft is painted, is actually the colour scheme projected onto the fuselage, which is already painted all over cream.
Pete, That's got to be one of the most clever ideas I've heard. Congrats to you and Martin! If I had the talent and expertise to paint my own aircraft, I'd use your technique. Please keep us posted as to how it works out.

It should be very easy to take a freeware RV for MS Flight Sim, make templates for texture altering (with author's permission of course) and then have the option to draw with an image editor and view the result in glorious 3D.

The texture files are sometimes confusing as it might be hard to make out what is what. I also have no idea how they do aluminum shine, but for just a preview it doesn't have to be too advanced.

If there's interest I can cook something up.

I am just at the painting stage.

I can't say that I'm too concerned about colour schemes when I'm sitting inside the aircraft except to say I want to be clearly visable. But a good scheme will form a nice transition to the grinning stage.

I don't know if the sight below is any use. I strayed across it and remembered the paint thread. It is for R/C aircraft ......at 8000 feet most aircraft look like models.

http://www.airplanecolor.com/about.htm

being visable

Ted,

Maybe others can comment on this, but I've found that when I see airplanes in flight first I see the plane, then can usually identify what type it is, and lastly the colors. By the time I can see color it really isn't a factor at all in spotting airplanes. If you like certain colors better that are not what you consider bright and easy to spot they really will not make you harder to see in the air. IMHO

Regards,

RV-8 Paint Scheme Design

I agree that deciding on a paint scheme is probably the most difficult decision in the entire build process. Odd when you consider all the decisions you labor over in the building process. But after all, you'll be looking at it for years.

My criteria was that I didn't want a plane-jane scheme (white with a stripe). While that's a safe bet, I felt that after spending so much time building, I wanted something very personal. Something that reminded me of all those old flashy airplanes you see from the golden age of flying. And definitely something with ramp presence.

Then I realized that I had no talent for coming up with such a design.

Fortunately, I have a friend who's a professional graphics designer and she volunteered to design a scheme for me. After looking at several ideas, we developed the scheme you see here. It looks exactly like the designer's sketch. I think it definitely has the ramp presence I wanted. I get lots of compliments on it, even from some folks who aren't prone to such things. An added benefit of the colorful design is that other pilots tell me it's easy to pick up in the air. That will be especially important as I do more cross-country flying in loose formation with friends in other RVs.

Lastly, and perhaps most important, I personally love the paint scheme. Every time I open the hangar door is like seeing it again for the first time.

n898dkpaint1vd.jpg

n898dkairtoair8ew.jpg

If you don't have the talent for design, I suggest trying one of the services offered on the web. I'd just caution against designs that try to do too much. They often look good on a flat drawing but turn out to be too busy when applied to the real thing. Less is more in this case. In my case, I was lucky to have a good designer who could pull off something a bit more complicated, and a brother with a good eye for some of the final details we caught during the striping of the trim.

By the way, thanks to my paint shop -- Aircraft Paint Service at Meacham Field, Ft. Worth, TX -- for the great application. Paint is AcryGlo.

Chris Pratt
N898DK
Based at KADS

P.S. I had not realized when I selected the colors that they are also close to the colors used in the German flag. More than one person (German I presume) came up to me at Oshkosh 2005 and asked if I were German. Well, I guess I am now, at least in the air.

Last edited:
Result

Here's the end result of my previously reported Colour scheme 'Projection'.
Pete.
PS. Chris, Great colour scheme. Where is KADS. Pete.

paint scheme

I'm waiting for someone with a lot of time and money to create a paint scheme that makes it look like there are no skins on the aircraft. 3D paint, texture and shadow all the ribs, engine control cables all over the airplane....
Any thoughts? :D

Jeff

3d paper paper printouts, lots of crayons and paper, and a 13 year old daughter did mine. SHe isvery proud of her work.
super8small.jpg
bruceride2.jpg

Last edited:
Exotic paint job

Hey Jeff,
This won't be of too much help but a year or two ago(I think it was at Copperstate) I saw a Velocity(or Cozy IV) with some exotic airbrush work that made it appear to have the skin peeling away and exposing airframe structures except that these airframe structures were from another galaxy! It was extremely creative in that it made it look like an alien spacecraft with some sort of cloaking device/system. Sorry, but I didn't get the owners name nor the genius who painted it. I do recall seeing the bird featured shortly after in either Kitplanes or Sport Aviation. The point I'm trying to make is if you can locate the shop that did this one, that'd be the place to get what you describe. Maybe someone who reads this will know the airplane/owner I'm referring to.

Color schemes

Another good sourse of ideas is the model aircraft magazines--------the cover of Model Aviation about six months ago had a plane with a flag motiff that I really liked, one of several I have saved to use in the decession process when the time comes.

Mike

fodrv7 said:
Where is KADS. Pete.

KADS is Addison, Texas, a northeastern suburb of Dallas.

Your location shows Torquay... as in Queensland or further south, down near Geelong? I've actually been through the southern city on a motorcycle road trip 6 years ago; we started from Melbourne and took the Great Ocean Road west to Warnambool, then backtracked eastward to Phillip Island, then back to Melbourne. Great trip, beautiful country, super friendly people. Gotta go back someday...

John
RV-8QB FWF

It has been done kind of

jcaplins said:
I'm waiting for someone with a lot of time and money to create a paint scheme that makes it look like there are no skins on the aircraft. 3D paint, texture and shadow all the ribs, engine control cables all over the airplane....

Jeff
It has been kind of done. There was an acro plane I think a Giles with an ailen theme. IT had sections that looked like the outer "skin" was being pulled off showing the skeletal structure. You are right its a matter of lots of money and a talented airbrush artist. George

Great Ocean Road

John,
Your spot on.
Torquay, Great Ocean Road.
Victoria.
Australia's best Motor bike run.
Seems you too are a -9 driver.
Pete.

jcaplins said:

Jeff

Not quite what you describe, but semi-similar:
0347028.jpg

Used to belong to Oakley, the sunglasses/goggles mfgr. I'd LOVE to do something like that on my RV, but I won't have a 5-figure paint budget...

Belgian, too.

chrispratt said:
P.S. I had not realized when I selected the colors that they are also close to the colors used in the German flag.
About the same colors as the Belgian flag too:

Belgian Flag:
be-lgflag.gif

German Flag:
gm-lgflag.gif

In any case, a really nice paint job!

Hawkeye7A said:
Hey Jeff,
This won't be of too much help but a year or two ago(I think it was at Copperstate) I saw a Velocity(or Cozy IV) with some exotic airbrush work that made it appear to have the skin peeling away and exposing airframe structures except that these airframe structures were from another galaxy! It was extremely creative in that it made it look like an alien spacecraft with some sort of cloaking device/system. Sorry, but I didn't get the owners name nor the genius who painted it. I do recall seeing the bird featured shortly after in either Kitplanes or Sport Aviation. The point I'm trying to make is if you can locate the shop that did this one, that'd be the place to get what you describe. Maybe someone who reads this will know the airplane/owner I'm referring to.
Small World!
I saw this same plane around the end of January at KPAN in Payson, AZ.
I was visiting my retirement property there from Columbus, Ohio so I don't know if he was local or not. The little restaurant at the airport seems to be a popular fly 'n' eat place. Barnstormers I think was the name.

-mike

fodrv7 said:
Here's the end result of my previously reported Colour scheme 'Projection'.
Pete.
PS. Chris, Great colour scheme. Where is KADS. Pete.

Pete: Thanks for the compliment. From what I can see, yours is going to look great. Post some air to air shots when you can. BTW KADS is Addison, Texas in North Dallas.

Chris

Paint scheme software

Someone here mentioned (airplanecolor.com) so I checked them out. Currently there are only models for two real aircraft (Sonex and Eurocoup) but I have contacted the owner and asked about the possibility of developing a model for the RV series aircraft. He was very receptive. I sent him the 3 view drawings for the 9A and he has just started to develop a model for it. Looking at how his software works it should be possible to take the 9A and create both a 7A an 6A version an perhaps even the non-A versions. He estimated about a month before the model will be ready. I will report on it then. For $10.00 the price is right and it's fun to be able to manipulate in 3D.

Deception?

mlw450802 said:
Small World!
I saw this same plane around the end of January at KPAN in Payson, AZ.
I was visiting my retirement property there from Columbus, Ohio so I don't know if he was local or not. The little restaurant at the airport seems to be a popular fly 'n' eat place. Barnstormers I think was the name.

-mike

Maybe you guys were talking about this one?

Kevin Steiner / Brooke Bessesen
Scottsdale, AZ "Deception"

Steinerinflight2.JPG

Steiner%20in%20flight1.JPG

Steiner_Plenum1.jpg

Sorry about the images being so big, they're posted on the Velocity site. I would love to see this on an RV as well, kinda like Van's T-shirt.

cat-med_vaf.jpg

Rat

Last edited:
Back