What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ritchie Compass

Hey way not

You know you could call the manufacture, I did once.

I called about the cool little remote electronic compass they made, but discontinued. I called and they where helpful.

This compass has to be as good as a WWII airpath design. May be draw backs are:

Weight?

Magnetic Dip? As you know, with what looks like a bigger card it may "swing more", but that only comes into play during turns and acceleration and deceleration.

Cost? The boat stuff is not free, but $40 is a bargain. The real heavy duty serious large compasses cost....well........ a boat load. :eek: :D

George

George

Pretty Cheap

Hi George,

I did call them - $39 online. Should fit in my empty 3-1/8 hole too. Has compensators and can be repaired if required. Friendly people.

Seems like a good risk.

I bought something similar from the boat store during the early interations of my panel. It had absurd amounts of error when in the plane. :(

Anyway, I have the remote compass on the D10A now and have no regrets going that route. :D

compass

Hi Pete:

I think you'll find that locating a compass in the panel can lead to large errors. It might be possible to find a location that has minimal magnetic deviation, but it may be sensitive to electric currents from adjacent wires or instruments. You won't know until it's too late to change.

I have the type that mounts to the windscreen support. I chose the location by using a handheld compass, and finding the point that had the least deviation. For a bunch of reasons, the steel in the roll bar and support are slightly magnetized, and it's best to find the neutral point before installation.

When I swung the compass, I ended up with a maximum 1 degree of error throughout 360 degrees... which is probably as good as I could align the aircraft on the compass rose. The Dynon EDC and the compass agree to within 2 degrees.

Vern Little
Final inspection complete - no snags. As soon as the interim C of A is issued, I can fly.

Back