What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spins with Carburettor

oz8

I'm New Here
Hi all,

Trying to decide, carb versus fuel injection. Would like to use a carb for simplicity and cost. I know the carb is fine for positive G but I'm worried about fuel starvation during spins and vertical manouvres such as hammerheads. What are your experiences?

Thankyou,

Adrian Bruer

oz8 said:
Hi all,

Trying to decide, carb versus fuel injection. Would like to use a carb for simplicity and cost. I know the carb is fine for positive G but I'm worried about fuel starvation during spins and vertical manouvres such as hammerheads. What are your experiences?

Thankyou,

Adrian Bruer

I've never had a problem with carbs and spins. I'd be more conerned about the oil in a hammerhead than the fuel. If it starves for fuel for a few seconds, it'll probably start right back up when you get back to positive G's...not a biggie. If you do them "right" (in this case defined positive G's all around...think "aggresive wingover" instead of "hammerhead), it'll probably be fine, but It's easy to screw up a hammerhead, go negative G's and end up with no oil pressure and a mess inside your cowl.

Last edited:
I did some flight tests in a -6 carb and found a proper hammerhead (less than 1.5x wing length on rotation) will cut the fuel. Spins did not.

Best

Thanks for your replies. It sounds like I'll have to bite the bullet and install full inverted systems. I don't want to frighten my passengers (or myself) with sudden engine stoppages, even if they are only temporary. ;) The inverted capability will come in handy when doing slow rolls, Immelmans etc. as well I guess.

Thanks again, Adrian

Back