What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Better suited to IFR?

BoilermakerRV

Well Known Member
Maybe I'm the only one, but I LOVE flying IMC. Maybe my brain is just wired that way. I was one of those students who always had to be reminded to look outside the cockpit during VFR flights. During my PPL training I was fascinated with VOR navigation, unusual attitudes and the like.

As an engineer, maybe the "math and science" of IFR just made perfect sense to me. I understand that many have trouble transitioning from VFR to IFR, but not me. I loved it.

With the advanced EFIS and GPS systems of today, I think IFR flying is getting easier and easier. At the very least the situational awareness is improving. Having flown with the G1000 and the Bendix King AP recently, I find myself even more invigorated when it comes to flight in IMC. I'm looking forward to my upcoming flights with the integrated GFC700 autopilot.

My last few flights in my rented C172 were all in IMC for at least a portion of the flight, and I couldn't have been happier. I understand that many people build VFR, or even day VFR aircraft. For me, I want a solid, well equipped IFR RV.

Am I alone in my love of IMC and IFR procedures?

I don't have my IFR rating yet, but as an engineer myself, I can relate. I was also reminded at times to get my eyes outside the cockpit. I had no problem with the instrument portion of the PPL training.

No I enjoy it also. You take off, fly in the clouds, drop out of the clouds and poof there's a runway. But I also enjoy flying over clouds too.

No I enjoy it also. You take off, fly in the clouds, drop out of the clouds and poof there's a runway. But I also enjoy flying over clouds too.

I have far too many mountains, wilderness areas, national parks, lakes, and deserts to look at. This is why I fly GA. As I've aged, I think that total IMC/IFR would bore me. My wife's boss prefers it though.

After all, just a short distance away, we have the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone Park, Monument Valley, Lake Powell, and much more.

I did take up the IFR conquest in 93/94, but that's when it ended. My RV has marker beacons, a marker antenna, and heated pitot tube. Perhaps I secretly think about it. At the moment, the joy of seeing the runway after seeing nothing out the window.............is much cheaper with flight simulator.:)

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Maybe I'm the only one, but I LOVE flying IMC.....

Am I alone in my love of IMC and IFR procedures?

No Mike, you're not just a weird engineer. :)

Just kidding. It is the sense of accomplishment one gets from doing a good job in an environment that requires knowing what's going on all the time. IFR flight can be most gratifying if one does it every day, knows the procedures, how to judge weather and above all else, knows the capabilities of his equipment. Another aspect, the chances of a mid air collision with a small VFR airplane were almost nil - they are not flying (most of the time).

When pilots flew around on ADF, VOR and a marker beacon because that's all there was, things could get a bit tense as there was no way of keeping up with the weather once off the ground. Airborne radar was not that great if you had it. At one time, it was optional even on scheduled airline operations. After a few notable accidents, it became mandatory and had to be working.

It is understandable getting a rush from doing a good job, but I can not hang my hat on IFR in these small airplanes because they do come up very short safety wise - starting with a single engine, no anti ice equipment, and limited redundancy of systems. The fanciest glass panel won't mean much when things get really nasty outside. The go-no go check list is going to have to be very limited when it comes to flying in the nasty stuff and when you get near the envelop edge, it won't be a lot of fun.

In the military, pilots ALWAYS fly with a parachute in single engine ops, IFR or VFR. There is a good reason for it even with the very expensive equipment they are privileged to operate.

Back