What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The New Spot, Smaller and Improved?

nomocom

Well Known Member
Other threads cover Spot subscriptions and the original transmitter. Here are a couple comments on the new SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger (not the SPOT Personal Tracker).

It worked fine communicating numerous times around town, but more importantly "I'm OK" 3 days in a row from the field. These signals came out of moderately challenging locations (canyons). I made sure I set it out away from trees and gave it 20-30 minutes to allow for GPS fix and the transmission of the outgoing message.

1) I like the protected 911 and Help buttons. The button covers should eliminate the sort of nuisance trips others have reported.
2) Adds a message button that can be customized. In my case, I use it to let family know trip is extended due to non-emergency reasons and there are no worries. This to me is a huge plus. Stay calmly on the ground and let the weather improve (or the fish continue to bite), without family worrying about tardiness.
3) Substantially smaller and lighter than 1st generation.

The PLB is staying in the flight bag. The reviews on the SPOT system are mixed. So, until I hear of consistent performance, the SPOT I'll use to let family know I'm ok and where I am, and occasionally that the trip is extended. If there is a life-threatening emergency, I don't want to be wondering if the message is getting out, I'll be using the PLB.

I'd like to hear user reports on the newer unit. The PLB isn't much to carry in the airplane, but it is significant in the pack. If the SPOT were reliable, I'd likely leave the PLB at the airplane and just carry the SPOT in the pack.

More info?

Stan,
Thanks for the report. I hadn't heard that there's a new one. How about a picture? Cost? Is there any chance that they have a trade-up program?

The PLB is staying in the flight bag. The reviews on the SPOT system are mixed. So, until I hear of consistent performance, the SPOT I'll use to let family know I'm ok and where I am, and occasionally that the trip is extended. If there is a life-threatening emergency, I don't want to be wondering if the message is getting out, I'll be using the PLB.

I'd like to hear user reports on the newer unit. The PLB isn't much to carry in the airplane, but it is significant in the pack. If the SPOT were reliable, I'd likely leave the PLB at the airplane and just carry the SPOT in the pack.

I consider our SPOT ( the original orange one) as totally reliable. From the airplane it doesn't miss one of those 10 min +/- beats (so to speak). While in flight, I check that both green lights are blinking every three seconds. They always do, and it always reports position. We average at least one cross country with the SPOT every week.

In fact, three weeks ago, we couldn't even get out of the plane before my daughter called wondering why we landed at an airport she didn't think was in the itinerary. It was a restroom stop, and she's a worry wart about flying...

And yes, one of those accidental 911 calls mentioned here was ours. But response was very fast. So we know it works!

L.Adamson --- RV6A

$150 at REI.com. Mine was on backorder for over a month. REI has pics and the old unit for 50 bucks less. Spot may have lots of the old units, so maybe we will see an offering of the 1st gen unit for cost of subscription only..... I recall they offered that at Oshkosh in 2008.

Thank goodness!

Smaller and lighter, but more important, it has more buttons, each with a specific function rather than the confusing buttonology mess that is the current unit.

Separating the track from the check-in button is a huge advance. I also like that there appears to be two check-in styles. I had one occasion where Paul only had Blackberry access (he was in the emergency room and I was flying home to be with him and pick him up after treatment) and I had to make a major diversion for weather. I wanted to "check-in" but figured that message would cause him to think I was home and would be there to pick him up soon. So, I didn't "check-in" and he had to wonder why I wasn't home yet. If this new unit works as I think, I would set the personalized message to say something like "I'm okay but delayed in the air due to weather or another non-emergency issue." The standard "OK" would remain my starting/finishing flight message.

Thanks, all, for letting us know about this improvement!

Battery Life?

I seem to remember someone saying that the new units have a much shorter battery life. Is that correct?

Gave them a call this morning

If you want the new SPOT there is no upgrade path for current customers. They say they are currently working on it.

However, you can purchase the new spot, then call Customer Service, they will prorate your current subscription and apply it to the new SPOT.
They then 'unlock' your old spot so you can resell it.

Spot Recall for incorrect battery status (second generation only)

I seem to remember someone saying that the new units have a much shorter battery life. Is that correct?

It is true- at least if you believe the instrument:(

Find Me Spot has pulled the new Spot units off the shelves and issued a recall for the second generation Spot. (findmespot.com)

Dissapointing. So, I send my unit back and I get unit that works correctly sent to me "early 2009". Not confidence inspiring.
I've sent them an email for more details, having found their explanation, "some of the new SPOT 2 devices might not meet battery and messaging operating specification." a bit vague. Just what does this mean? In an emailed reply, they report the failure consists of the unit reporting low batteries before the batteries are low. Well, I can think of lots worse failure modes. So I spend a few extra dollars on batteries maybe, but I've got trips planned, so no thanks, you won't be getting my unit until I've got another one in hand, or some assurance on a quick turn around.

While I'm certainly not impressed with their initially vague communications and having to send mine in with no replacement in hand, I suppose it says something that I don't want to give it up :rolleyes:

Back