What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Introducing myself

L

LarryK

This is the Suggested format and was originally typed up by Rudi Greyling:
[Mandatory Fields]
Name: __________
City: ___________
Status: Interested / Building [xxx hours] / Flying [yyy hours]
Configuration: RV-7 / RV-7A / Tip-up Canopy / Slider Canopy
Engine: Specify type fitted or intending fitting
Prop: Specify type fitted or intending fitting

[Optional Fields]
Introduction: A short write up about yourself and your project.
Pilot photo: Provide a photo of yourself if you have one
Project photo: Provide a photo of your project if you have one
Web page: If you have a web-page for your project
PS: Tip just copy and past the above format in your reply and edit/replace the fields as required.

Now, on to Larry's post.....

Hello all.........I have been reading the postings on this group but never got involved in any of the discussions. Perhaps to my misfortune. I recently completed the tailcone and tail feathers of my RV-10 following a good training session at Alexandar Technical in Griffin Ga. I must say that I had no trouble with the initial build but dedcided, after much prodding, to go with the QB Fuse and Wings. I ordered both in July but still haven't received them. Van's informes me that they can ship the Wings now but the Fuse is still on back order. Problems with production in South East Asia. I haven't agreed to a separate shipment because I live in Western Mass., (Monterey, Ma.) which is in the Berkshires, so the cost of shipping from Oregon to Mass. is not inexpensive. When shipped together, I will save over three hundred dollars. When shipped separately, the costs go up but I may bite the bullet and have the wings shipped now. I must say that Van's is very understanding of the situation and they offered to credit me for the cost overrun. I still have to pay for delivery from Albany, NY, the closest Van's shipper is to my home........about one and onehalf hours away.

While I am waiting, I would like to build a "cradle" for the wings and fuse but Van's has no recommendation for such a platform. Has anyone built a cradle or dolly which works well? I would appreciate any feedback or pictures of one which does the trick. I am currently using a carpeted, large, 4 X 8 table which is on wheels but it is 40 inches off the floor and placing the Fuse or wings on it will make it impossible to work comfortably. I worked well for the tailfeathers. The tail cone is on a solid set of horses, (I have attached a photo if you are inerested) which is also too high. I guess I can fabricate something myself but why reinvent the wheel. Please let me know if you have a good solution.........thanks Larry Klein

Last edited by a moderator:
RV-10 Wing Cradle

I used two wooden sawhorses for my RV-10 QB Wings. I put a three foot long 2X4 into the rib openings (just above the spar where the wing tip attaches) and then placed the 2x4 on one sawhorse and the spar (fuselage side) on the other sawhorse. Use the screws and spacers out of the crate where the spar is attached to hold the spar end on one sawhorse and put a couple of screws in the 2x4 on the other sawhorse. The wing is now stable with the nose down and it is easy to work on almost everything. Initially I put both wings on one set of sawhorses back to back but found in a single car garage that the space was a little tight to work so I moved one wing out into storage, on another set of saw horses, while I worked on the first wing.

So far I have been able to get to everything pretty easy with the wing mounted on the sawhorses. You want to be sure and use stable sawhorses and screw down both the spar end and the 2x4 on the wingtip end so the wing can't move around while you are working on it. The sawhorses hold the QB wing at a perfect height for doing almost everthing, including mounting the flaps.

When I get everything plumbed, and the wing bottom skin closed up, I am going to use two small carpted padded card tables and turn the QB wing upside down and lay it supported on each end on the top skin. I will then work on mounting the tips.

I already have my QB fuselage and you will need at least a two car empty garage to work on both the wings and the fuselage. I haven't attached the tailcone but I suspect that when I get the tailcone attached a garage may be a little to small for the fuselage/tailcone.

I am picking up my finishing kit this morning. Pretty exciting.

ADDED: Finishing kit was 500 lbs, 4x8x2 foot high, small compared to the two quick build fuselage boxes which were 4x8x42 inches high and 5x8x5 foot high and weighed in at 740 lbs and 260 lbs.

Russ Daves

Last edited:
Wing cradle

I saw a picture of a wing cradle that was built using strips of carpet as slings to support the leading edges of the wings, but I can't remember where I saw them at. Anyone have a link?

Thanks,
Andrew
RV-10
QB wings and Fuse on the way

Krash!!

Come over and get some pictures of my fixtures for these guys!!!
Helps on the way,,,, General Custer

Last edited:
Next time I'm over at RV Central I'll be sure to shoot some photos of Jay's RV-10 wing cradle and upload them to the site.

B,

Wing Cradle

Somthing like this:
P0001801.jpg

Compliments of Jay Brinkmyers.

Back