What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Favorite Bucking bars and modified bars

rv9aviator

Well Known Member
What is everyone using to buck rivets on their RV's. I seem to use only two or three different bars for 80% of the work. I made one for use in the empennage that works well. Please post what you are using and especially ones that you have modified for certain tasks. Pictures would also be great showing the application. New builders would certainly benefit from the information. I will take a picture of one I made from scratch and add it to this post later today. The size is 3/4 X 1-1/4 inch X 6 inches long. My interest right now is a back riviting bucking bar for the wings and fuselage.

Here it is:
dscn15539qz.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:
I used the Avery double offset back rivet set and matching b'bar (piece of 1 1/2" round stock) on my top wing skins. Plans are to use the same setup on the F970 fuse skins in the near future.
Steve

If I could only have one.........

rv9aviator said:
What is everyone using to buck rivets on their RV's. I seem to use only two or three different bars for 80% of the work..............thanks

I have a large collection of bucking bars but this 2-1/2"X1-1/2" gem is by far my favorite. It easily accounts for 90% or more of my traditional bucking chores. I've used it for too many years, including the setting of the AD6 wing spar rivets in my slowbuild kit.
bar100gw.jpg
bar1024pu.jpg
bar1033li.jpg

Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"

Hi Rick,
What is the approx. thickness of your favorite bucking bar? I would like to make one for myself.

Jim

rv9aviator said:
Hi Rick,
What is the approx. thickness of your favorite bucking bar? I would like to make one for myself. Jim
bardimensions3zv.jpg

BTW Jim,
This bucking bar has backriveted many a rivet on the fuselage and wings. To prevent ugly dents, I would much rather have an inexperienced novice (such as my wife) simply hold the bar flat and firmly against the manufactured head while I set the shop head from the other side.
Rick Galati RV-6A "Darla"

Last edited:
ATS Sale

On a related note... Aircraft Tool Supply is running their winter sale through the end of the month. Many of their bucking bars (same ones you get from Cleveland or Avery) are on sale for just $10. I just bought a #148 bar from Avery for around $23 only to find it on sale for $10 at ATS two weeks later.

PS - Nice looking bar Rick6A... It sure would come in useful here.

Thanks Rick and Brad,

I guess I'll make a bucking bar tomorrow and maybe order one or two while they are on sale at ATS.

Last edited:
Elev bucker

I found a piece of Bent 3/8" steel at a scrap yard and trimmed it for bucking the Elevator Stiffeners. The small slot accommodates the stiffener.
Pete.

The Yard is an excellent place to buy from. They are also a supplier of aluminum. I have a machine shop and buy plate aluminum from them to build molds and patterns from. They have been great to deal with. I bought a 90 deg. air drill from them that never would spin up to the proper RPM. I thought it might just need breaking in, but after several months it never got any better. I used it so seldom that I kept forgetting about the problem. I finally asked them if they would take a look at it. I sent it back and about 5 days later I received a brand new drill that worked perfectly. I also bought my rebuilt Air squeezer from them and saved some cash. My favorite suppliers are Avery's, Browns, Clear-Air, Cleveland, and the Yard in alphabetical order.

That bent Bucking bar would be hard to reproduce. You never know what treasures await you at your local scrap yard. :)

Back